Ricardo Castro Symphony No 1

Started by terry martyn, Sunday 21 August 2022, 12:30

Previous topic - Next topic

terry martyn

Memory (which might be playing tricks) recalls that a CD of this symphony was once available, according to Mike Herman's discography. The relevant pages of that discography have been unavailable for download for many months, so I cannot check. I am not referring to any radio broadcasts, but an actual CD.  Can anyone confirm my recollection,please?

Richard Moss

Terry,

I have a (the?) CD containing Castro's Symphony No. 1.  I bought it quite a few years ago and sadly can't remember from where.

The details are as follows:

Title:     Siete Compositores Mexicanos - Disco por el Bicentenario 1810 - 2010

Label:     Animusa, a division of GRABACLASIC (IFF I've read the cover correctly) - no obvious catalogue number

Artists:    Orquesta Clasica de Mexico A.C.; director Carlos Esteva;  *organista Manuel Zacarias; *coro Amigas de la Musica; *coro director Lucero Prtado de Navarro; *Soprano Patricia Martin de Navarro ( don't recall artists marked * being relevant to the symphony)

I've scanned the (VERY!) brief inlay that came with the CD but I don't know how to attach it.  If you want  this, then please message me and I'll try and take it from there.

The four tracks of the symphony (nos. 4-7) are: I. Intro; molto allegro (14'33); II. Andante (5'59); III. Scherzo (2'30); IV. Allegro finale (8'00)

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Richard

Martin Eastick

I also have this CD, which I managed to obtain from Records International. Unfortunately, I have not played this for some time due to the rather poor recording/performance! https://www.recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=02L012

terry martyn

Martin and Richard

Many thanks.  I have ordered it, as it is still in stock!   

terry martyn

An update......

Jeff Joneikis, who runs www.recordsinternational.com has just emailed me to cancel my order.  Apparently, he moved three months ago, and threw out more than a dozen CDs of the Castro, as ,he says, no-one had bought any in over ten years. He adds "Bad luck!", but, in view of what Martin has said about the  performance and recoding quality (or lack of), it is I who might have had a lucky escape!

Ilja

For anyone who's curious, the recording is on YouTube.