Fritz Brun(1878-1959): a Catalogue of the Orchestral music

Started by Dundonnell, Thursday 21 June 2012, 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

It's a magnificent release. The Schoeck songs orchestrated by Brun are a lovely bonus too - and absolutely wonderfully sung by the Hungarian mezzo Bernadett Fodor. She's one to watch. Thank you again, Adriano.

Gijs vdM

Somewhat belated I can add my deepest appreciation for how Adriano (one of the more unduly unknown conductors of our time!) has brought to life the orchestral works of Fritz Brun, surely one of the most unduly unknown composers of the 20th century! A sad fact is, now that commerce is increasingly invading the Arts, the chances of such major uncoveries (I skip the term 'discovery'!) are decreasing rapidly. Moreover, how many conductors or musicians can or want to invest time and energy in music which takes time to do them right? Happily, there are still some labels that bring unknown music because they seem to feel they have an obligation to do so (I might point to a name somewhat associated to Brun: Jan van Gilse, of whom CPO now issued various CDs, including all his symphonies; bravo!). One must help these by buying the CDs rather than downloading some rip(off) thereof!

My favorite Brun symphony remains the 5th, but then I am a sucker for dark and troubled music....

All best,
Gijs

Alan Howe

Quotesuch major uncoveries (I skip the term 'discovery'!)

Perhaps "finds" would be a better word. But we know what you mean...