World Premiere CD Recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Servilia"

Started by Collrec, Sunday 23 October 2016, 01:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Collrec

Back on March 25, 2016 UC Member Christopher posted a message about an April 15, 2016 performance by the Moscow Chamber Musical Theatre of Rimsky-Korsakov's Servilia preceded by the opera's first CD recording. The message in part stated as follows:

"The  little-known opera occupies a special place in the artistic heritage of the famous Russian composer. Quite atypical for Rimsky-Korsakov's theme, era and genre, as well as the unsuccessful premiere of the opera was originally given an unusual status, and as a result it has always stood apart among the many masterpieces of its author. Since "Servilia" still remains the only unrecorded opera by Rimsky-Korsakov, the theatrical premiere will be preceded by a full recording in a studio under the direction of Gennady Rozhdestvensky."

Does any UC member know something about this planned recording? Has it been issued in Russia? If so, on what label and catalog number? If not, has it been postponed or even canceled? And what about the April 15 performance? Did it take place and, if so, has it been reviewed?

Any information would be helpful and appreciated.                                 

Aragion

As I know, the complete opera has already been recorded just before the premiere. It was planed to make a CD release this autumn but there is now but there is now further information yet.

Christopher

It had been planned to release the CD together with the premiere in the Pokrovsky Opera, which was mid-September. This didn't happen.  APparently the Ministry of Culture has become involved.  The involvement of any state department in Russia tends to slow things down massively.  I fear this may now just sit in archives(((

Anyway, my Moscow moles are checking in every few weeks for developments....

Christopher

Talking of recordings that just sit in archives, have we ever had a thread on this? ie - unsung works that have definitely been recorded once but these recordings not released,commercially or otherwise (for whatever reason). This is different recordings that have been released but are hard to find.

If we had such a thread, people might know of ways to obtain the recordings (legitimately) of a few of them at least. 

On my list of unsung pieces that I know to have been recorded but not released is Rimsky-Korsakov's Serviliya (above); Artur Kapp's Last Confession of Job (version for full orchestra by Vardo Rumessen); and most of the symphonic output of Vassily Zolotarev.

Moderators - do you see the merits in such a thread?

Alan Howe