Caetani String Quartets

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Friday 28 October 2016, 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

I'm forever on the lookout for string quartets that I've never encountered. And, oh golly, I noticed this morning that Brilliant Classics (on November 18) will be releasing a recording by the young (but hugely talented) London based Alauda Quartet of the two string quartets by Roffredo Caetani.

Now that's a quite new one for me, and the CD was promptly ordered. The two quartets were composed turn of the century, and a quick look at the literature suggests they might well be interesting. Anyone acquainted with them?

There is also a Piano Quintet which goes straight on my wish list. I'm aware that Brilliant released a disc a couple of years ago of Caetani's piano music (which includes a sonata), but I don't know the disc. And I don't suppose Caetani is related to the conductor of that name?

Alan Howe

Yes, they are related: Roffredo's niece, Topazia Caetani, married the conductor-composer Igor Markevitch, whose son took his mother's name and is known as Oleg Caetani. (Information from IMSLP).

eschiss1

I look forward to the CD- I remember skimming the music of the quartets and quintet as uploaded by Sibley Music Library prior to mirroring it for IMSLP. Looked interesting. So did the orchestral and other works available...

mikehopf

Caetani's opera Hypatia is available on youtube.

mikehopf

From Cobbett's Survey of Chamber Music ( 1963 ed.)

Dr Altmann ( Handbuch)  speaks of Caetani's first quartet as written in the manner of Liszt's symphonic poems, in one long diffuse movement, showing intimate knowledge of fugal form. In his second quartet, dramatic and lyrical themes are effectively contrasted. There is no scherzo, and the finale is slightly coloured by Slav influence. Dr Altmann , without recommending these works for public performance, considers them useful for dilettante players.

mikehopf

There is also a piano trio in D, Op.5