Kalliwoda Symphony 1 & VConcertino

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 13 October 2016, 22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan asks:

Can one assume that the Violin Concerto No. 1 on this release is indeed the CONCERTO, and not the Violin CONCERTINO already released on CPO? The concerto is Op. 9, the concertino Op. 15.

Alan Howe

That is my working assumption - but one can't be sure from perusal of the details at jpc.

eschiss1

The back cover is now visible at JPC. It's opus 15, the concertino. On the one hand, it's hardly overrecorded (and neither is the first symphony, in my honest opinion- that makes 2 commercial recordings?... and one broadcast- and I've only heard the latter- I think??...), on the other, no premiere yet for Opus 9...

The introduction and variations for clarinet, Op.128, are also on the CD.

Alan Howe

I have duly changed the thread title. Thanks, Eric.

Alan Howe

My copy arrived today. I wouldn't make great claims for the symphony; of course, it's early (1825), but it shows just how far in advance of his contemporaries Beethoven was, because Kalliwoda's First still sounds as if it has one foot in the 18th century. What is very obvious (and well-known) is the similarity between the opening of Kalliwoda's 3rd movement and the scherzo of Schumann 4, although the subsequent treatments are very different. Nevertheless, this is essential listening for those interested in the development of the (classical) symphony between Beethoven and Mendelssohn and Schumann. The performance, although HIP, is very fine.