Carl Reinecke Trio for Clarinet, Horn and Piano, Op.274

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 05 December 2016, 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, I'd quite forgotten what an absolutely superb piece this is. Written on almost symphonic lines, this is surely one of the forgotten gems of the romantic-era chamber repertoire. Does anyone here know this fabulous music (which, by the way, strays into some interesting territory, harmonically)?

Reinecke's music is often thought of as dry as dust. Personally I've never held that view. Opinions, anyone?

Herbert Pauls

I have always thought that, over all, Reinecke's music was very fine. For my taste, his output definitely contains some of the strongest unsung 19th C music out there. Recently I was listening to his cello sonatas, which were new to me, and the thought crossed my mind that these were works that could proudly grace any recital program. Perhaps they would even provide a good, unhackneyed, alternative to the overplayed Brahms sonatas. The flute sonata and the flute concerto are superb, not to mention the Piano Concerto in F sharp minor. In every case, the instrumental writing strikes me as faultless and idiomatic, and all the works have a subtle vein of melancholy that is very much Reinecke's own. It is very attractive.

Santo Neuenwelt

We at Edition Silvertrust believe that much of what he wrote is first class. We offer his Op.274 for Clarinet, Horn and Piano and also in a version for Violin, Viola and Piano. Q.V. http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/reinecke-trio-op274.htm

Both were published at the same time. Reinecke was 81 when he finished it. It is surprising how much of his late works, e.g. his Op.249 string trio, are really outstanding. We offer the following works of his

Cello Sonata No.1 in a minor, Op.42
Cello Sonata No.2 in D Major, Op.89
Cello Sonata No.3 in G Major, Op.238
Three Pieces for Cello & Piano, Op.146
Three Fantasy Pieces for Viola & Piano, Op.43
Violin Sonata in a minor, Op.42b
Violin Sonata in e minor, Op.116
String Trio in c minor, Op.249
Three Light Piano Trios, Op.159
Trio in a minor for Oboe (or Violin), Horn (or Cello) & Piano, Op.188
Trio in D Major for Clarinet, Viola & Piano, Op.264
Trio in B flat Major for Clarinet (or Violin), Horn (or Viola) & Piano, Op.274
String Quartet No.2 in F Major, Op.30
Piano Quartet No.1 in A Major, Op.34
Piano Quartet No.2 in D Major, Op.272
Piano Quintet in A Major, Op.83

You can hear generous soundbites from all of these works on our website

Alan Howe

Thanks! And then do go on and investigate some of the excellent recordings that are available - audio samples here:
https://www.jpc.de/s/carl+heinrich+reinecke

eschiss1

Are his first, third and fifth of his string quartets (I've heard the 2nd and 4th in full @ IMSLP in good if of course not ideal renditions) (1) too hard to find , (2) when the material -is- found not worth performing, or... what? :)

Santo Neuenwelt

I have played through all five. Unfortunately not recently and I did not make notes. But if memory serves, and of course you have heard Steve Jones on 2 and 4, they are decent if not great works. They have their moments, but I do not seem to recall them standing out like his string trio or the works for winds, strings and piano.

Edition Silvertrust owns parts to Nos.2-4 and we have access to Nos.1 and 5 through a private collector. We have been hoping that someone would bring out a CD of all five so we could release the parts. As you know, no soundbites no one takes a chance and buys merely on our sayso. But, alas, so far nothing. Perhaps we should arrange a play through if a commercial recording is going to come. Certainly they deserve it more than a lot of things that are being recorded.

If memory serves, No.5, Op.287 is perhaps the best. No.1 is very Schumannesque, not surprising, since at the time, he was Schumann's bright eyed boy (Brahms was a mere boy when No.1 came out). Schumann was quoted as saying "Carl knows what I am going to write before I write it."