Saint-Saëns - orchestral melodies

Started by BerlinExpat, Sunday 05 February 2017, 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

BerlinExpat

Here's what appears to be a wonderful new issue. It took me completely by surprise and have ordered as the sound bites are really tantalising - especially the Danse macabre. I wasn't aware that most of these orchestral mélodies existed. A real romantic wallow

https ://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/melodies-avec-orchestre/hnum/6070556

Ilja

TerraEpon

Certainly not all of these are world premieres despite what the cover implies. Danse Macabre was recorded on Cala under Geoffrey Simon, and Reverie, Le Pas d'Armes du Roi Jean and La Cloche were all on a disc on the Ades label that had the cantata La Lyre et la Harpe as its main piece.

That said....this is very juicy looking and I can't wait.

mikehopf

adriano

Of "Nuits Persanes" (coupled with Saint-Saens' "Hélène"), there is a wonderful recording on the Melba label; the tenor there is Steve Davislim (I know, Alan, that you don't like him)

Alan Howe

No, I like him. I just don't rate him as highly as you! But then I am equivocal about the late, great Nicolai Gedda!

Mark Thomas

I've just been listening to these songs - they are absolutely gorgeous.

adriano

Two days ago they just broadcasted Gedda singing "Celeste Aida" - an item surely not for posterity  ;)

adriano

The mentioned CD with orchestral songs is being promoted as a "world premiere", which is not true.
See, for example:
https://www.amazon.de/Orchestral-Songs-Saint-Saens/dp/B01AXMCPK2/ref=sr_1_248?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1488214912&sr=1-248&keywords=saint-saens
This beautiful CD may be still available from other sources at a cheaper price

adriano

Not really, since this sole cheaper seller only delivers within France...

This magnificent CD, as Mercier's CD with "Le Déluge" was first issued by Adès, then reissued on ADDA and later on RCA. It seems to be a very rare item. Some sellers try to get rid of it for some 400 Euros! Of course, they are also downloadable...
Jacques Mercier is an excellent conductor for this kind of repertoire. His recording of Saint-Saens' "Requiem" is highly recommendable.
Incidentally, another interpretation of "Le Déluge" is available on Ars Productions.
Mercier also recorded (on the same label/s) Florent Schmitt's 3 silent film music suites "Salammbô"

mikehopf

Free from Qobuz for just a small monthly subscription of c. 5 Euros.