News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stanford or Parry?

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 12 December 2016, 22:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'm listening to the Parry PC now. I'm more impressed by the slower second subject section than by the rather galumphing opening of the first movement. Doesn't sound a great deal like typical Parry and, quite frankly, I wouldn't go out of my way to give it a further hearing. There's some beautiful writing in the slow movement, but overall it seems to lack direction.The finale's a lot of fun (very unParry-like) - more like Saint-Saƫns crossed with Brahms or suchlike - but it does go on a bit. Overall, I'd say it was far from Parry's best work. If it were on a concert programme, I wouldn't bother going; on the other hand if any of the symphonies (but especially 3-5) were featured, I'd be buying tickets like a shot.

FBerwald

Seems I am in the minority this time ;) because if this was on a concert program, I would definitely go! I like this concerto for all its quirks. The "galumphing" opening as you call it is what attracts me the most. I imagine is the tempo is increased slightly, this movement would gain momentum... anyways to each his own.

Jimfin

I'd go to hear the concerto like a shot too, unlike the symphonies. Though frankly any Parry or Stanford concert programming (that isn't Jerusalem or I was Glad) would be welcomed gladly by me. Despite the above opinions, I'm a great admirer of both composers, and of Mackenzie (the little that I have been able to listen to).

Dylan

There was an earlier broacast performance of the Parry which was altogether livelier, and which greatly endeared me to the piece; however, on the day of the recording for some reason the same performers seem to have opted for slower tempi and stodgier rhythms, and I've always been disappointed by the results. High time for someone else to come along and rescue it - it can really sparkle!

FBerwald

Any chance this broadcast was recorded by someone... ?

Alan Howe

And not having listened to it for I don't know how long, I give Stanford's 6th a spin and (re)-discover a magnificent work - bracingly athletic in the first movement and, my goodness, the slow movement must surely be one of the great creations in all British music. I'm not abandoning my attachment to Parry's 4th yet, but this is gorgeous stuff...

Mark Thomas

Don't like to say "I told you so", but....  ;D

Alan Howe

...you did, I know. Should've known better...

Mark Thomas

I'd suggest you now sample Stanford's No.5.

Alan Howe

I'm currently sampling Parry's 2nd - whose power I had also forgotten about. Oh dear, so much to go back to and re-evaluate. I guess what I attracts me so much about Parry is his ability to write music that moves in great waves that carry the listener along with them. Maybe he learned that from Wagner...

FBerwald

Alan.. "..music that moves in great waves that carry the listener along with them." Sounds more like Handle  ;D ;D Handel to me whose music I adore as unfortunately is out of the forum scope.

Alan Howe

FBerwald

Yikes. I stepped in that one didn't I!

Alan Howe

Never mind. You handeled it well...

FBerwald

Well... I finally got a Handel to my name!

Ok. Back to Parry or Stanford or both!