News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stanford or Parry?

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 12 December 2016, 22:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quite.

I'm now inclined to nominate the 6th as Stanford's finest symphony. Would I be wrong, d'you think?

Mark Thomas

Personally I'd go for the 5th, but for no good reason that I can explain. Certainly the final three are all exceptionally fine works, and there's not much to choose between the 5th and 6th in terms of quality of invention, melodic material, orchestration and sheer exhilaration.   

eschiss1

Unless something's changed recently, and interestingly for works that have been multiply recorded, the 5th and 6th (and less surprisingly the early 1st and 2nd) of Stanford's symphonies are still, I believe, unpublished. (I think of Parry's symphonies the full scores, anyway, of all but the first have been published. That's only as regards symphonies, though.)

britishcomposer

According to Lewis Foreman's notes in the Chandos booklet Stanford's 5th has been published in 1923 "under the aegis of the Carnegie Award Scheme which assisted the publication of many British scores just after the First World War."

Gareth Vaughan

That is correct and I believe there are copies at the British Library and The Bodleian, Oxford. Published by Stainer and Bell, 1923.

eschiss1

FBerwald

Has anyone heard this new recording of Stanford's Piano Concerto No. 2 by Benjamin Frith?

Jimfin

No, but how wonderful: so there are at least three recordings of that work now. I've ordered it, and hoping for something interesting among the solo pieces as well.

FBerwald

Actually, there's at least 4 recordings of this concerto before this

Margaret Fingerhut.
Finghin Collins.
Malcolm Binns.
Andreas Jetter.

Alan Howe

...of which the Jetter's a bit of a dud, I gather. AVOID!

Revilod

I've heard all the recordings of this concerto except for the one by Andreas Jetter. (Great to see the concerto taken up by a foreign pianist!)There's not really a lot  to choose between them. Frith is very fine. My favourite, though, is Collins:

"Collins and Montgomery find an ounce more poetry in the slow movement and there are a number of imaginative touches, such as the ritardando at the transition into the first movement's development and an irresistible burst of excitement at the concerto's conclusion."

petershott@btinternet.com

There are some exciting things on the chamber music front going on in recording studios right now to provide some new CD releases in the Parry centenary year in 2018. In one case a newly discovered work. But lips tightly sealed, I'm afraid!

Jimfin

I haven't heard the Binns, but yes, I usually listen to the Collins. This concerto is frequently on my listening list. As is "Down among the Dead Men".

Christopher

I see that the Armistice Concert in St Johns Smith Square on Sat 10th November, which I am going to, features Parry's Songs of Farewell.  I look forward to getting to know this composer. https://www.sjss.org.uk/events/remembrance if anyone else based in London is interested.  Full programme is:

Arvo Pärt - Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten
Parry - Songs of Farewell
Mozart - Requiem in D minor K626

The London Choral Sinfonia
Kim-Lillian Strebel - SOPRANO
Anna Harvey - ALTO
Nick Pritchard - TENOR
Duncan Rock - BASS
Michael Waldron - CONDUCTOR

Three of the songs also featured in yesterday's superb Armistice Concert in Westminster Abbey (My soul, there is a country; There is an old belief; At the round earth's imagined corners) and I really enjoyed them.   

eschiss1

the second of last month's BBC Composer of the week Parry programs expires in 6-7 hours or so: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000nl5.