News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dessoff chamber music

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 29 December 2016, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Not a new recording (1983-6?...; string quartet in F, string quintet in G, on Antes Edition), just listening to it, and I find no reference to the composer, Felix Otto Dessoff (1835-92) here except in other capacities. The quintet of 1878 could certainly be mistaken for Brahms (whose own first quintet was 4 years in the future- it does sound like parts of his string sextets in a general way). Haven't yet started listening to the string quartet (in regards which see http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/dessoff-string-quartet.htm.)
Anyone else heard this?

Alan Howe

There was/is also an Audite CD featuring the String Quartet, coupled with Brahms' String Quartet, Op.51/No.2. I remember the music as being thoroughly cultured and wondering why Dessoff wrote so little.

Alan Howe

There's absolutely no doubt in mind that Dessoff's String Quartert is a masterpiece of the first order. Its themes are memorable, it has extraordinary elegance and some of its harmonic 'twists' are truly surprising. It packs an awful lot into its 24+ minutes' length. Don't tell anyone, but I'd rather listen to this than any of Brahms' efforts...

petershott@btinternet.com

Total agreement that the Quartet and the (2 cello) Quintet are each immensely rewarding works. For those who want to investigate the Antes disc referred to by Eric is BM-CD 31.9023. I don't know when it was released, but the two works were recorded in 1983 and 1986. Perhaps at 49 minutes rather short playing time, but who cares about quantity when the music is of such quality. On the back of the CD there is a quotation from Brahms given after Dessoff's death in 1892: "He was a splendid character and a musician of lively temperament and fine education". We know Brahms wasn't given to such tributes casually.

The explanation of why Dessoff didn't compose more was that his principal activity was conducting. There is, apparently, a very early symphony and what seems a successful piano sonata (now completely ignored and forgotten) together with some choral works. He gave up composing to concentrate on conducting (although these two chamber works for strings came from 1878 when he briefly returned to composition), and had an especially rewarding career (I believe he conducted the first performance of Brahms's 1st symphony).

As Alan remarks there is a later recording of the Quartet by the Mandelring on Audite - one of their three CDs devoted to Brahms plus. The fine musicians on the Antes disc are the Bartok-Quartett (for the Quartet) and L'Ensemble (Quintet).

I found Dessoff a wonderful discovery, and it made me regret that conducting pushed composing to one side. And I can't resist adding that if Alan has become tired of the Brahms quartets then there's a case for a brisk walk in the park, a cold bath, and then a fresh listen to any one of them! Try the recent disc by the Belcea - it blows cobwebs off routine performances of these works.

Alan Howe

Quoteif Alan has become tired of the Brahms quartets
I absolutely adore all of Brahms' music, but...
...just occasionally I want something less dense, more athletic - and frankly, less earnest. Out of all the string quartets of the period, for repeated listening I'll take Raff's 1st over all the competition. There. I've said it! (Ducks incoming verbal missiles!) For those who don't know this great work, audio samples are available here:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Joachim-Raff-1822-1882-Streichquartette-Nr-1-7/hnum/2964696

Thanks for the hint about the Belcea's recordings, though - I'll investigate forthwith.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, I gladly concede the point (and thought you expressed it well with that sometimes wanting "something less dense, more athletic.....and less earnest"). One couldn't live with Brahms all the time however well written and glorious his quartets might be. And yes again - it is the sheer exuberance of Raff that I find so completely enhancing. We need both composers and there are certainly no verbal missiles coming from me!

Alan Howe

How I wish the so-called cognoscenti out there shared our view...

eschiss1

There does seem btw to be or have been a recording of the piano sonata out there (on a private label, or something...) at least according to a Google search.

Alan Howe

Indeed. But I haven't been able to find a copy.

eschiss1

The pianist seems to be selling it here. (Not very effectively, since the contact link is down as are the others. Let me see about that...) (Two other recordings of hers- of Op.2 and of the piano reduction of Dessoff's string quintet- seem to have marginally more circulation over Amazon and thelike...)

She has a personal/professional? Facebook profile (easily found via a search) (though not a group/page which one can simply "join"/"like"), and I guess could be contacted there or at her university...

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

My copy's now arrived - and it's a superb disc. In fact in ordering it, I had mis-read its contents. It also contains a later String Quartet in E major, Op.11 (unpublished until the CD came about) – i.e. one different from the Op.7 work which we already have. It's another fabulous work - concise, full of incident and memorable material. I strongly urge potential fans of this music to track down any remaining copies of this CD.

Dessoff's a minor master – but only minor because he wrote so little. The works which we have suggest a major talent...

Martin Eastick

My copy has also just arrived - and many thanks to Alan for providing the link on Amazon UK! I have had this CD on my wants list for some years and cannot quite grasp why it seems to have had such limited circulation. Anyway, I have to echo Alan's enthusiasm and also pleasant surprise in finding that I now have BOTH string quartets - also any qualms I might have had concerning the use of a historic piano for the sonata were quickly cast aside! Surely this recording ought now to be reissued as I am sure there would be more than enough interest?

Alan Howe

Absolutely! Wonder who might take it on (if the label's defunct, that is)?

Gareth Vaughan

I wonder if Toccata might be interested.