Chaminade Concertstück Op. 40 and solo piano works

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 25 January 2017, 20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Ugh.

Yet ANOTHER recording of the sonata, and a bunch of other pieces that have have quite a number of recordings....along with ONE piece I don't own. Even the Concerstuck isn't enticing given the Hyperion recording coming out soon.

Gareth Vaughan

It doesn't excite me very much either. Most people who enjoy Chaminade will have earlier recordings of these pieces. However, it is surely a good thing that relatively unknown composers are now receiving multiple recordings of their works. It suggests they are no longer being dismissed as worthless, and there is always room for new interpretations.

Alan Howe

Gareth hits the nail on the head. And competitor recordings, of course, may be superior (who knows?) to the ones already available...

musiclover

I believe Dutton is bringing out a Chaminade orchestral disc fairly soon.

Gareth Vaughan

Don't know what could be on it that we won't have heard before. Her only surviving orchestral works, as far as I know (and I could be wrong) are the Concertstuck for piano and orchestra (recorded), the Concertino for flute and orchestra (recorded), the Suite d'Orchestre No. 1 (parts in Fleisher), the Callirhoe Suite d'Orchestre (pub. Kalmus and available to download from IMSLP) [this is a very pretty suite], the Piece Romantique & Gavotte (handwritten score in Library of Western Australia) and a few orchestral arrangements by other people of piano pieces of hers. The 2 pieces for orchestra (Le Matin and Le Soir), Op. 79 seem to exist only in versions for solo piano and, very sadly, the orchestral score of her Dramatic Symphony "Les Amazones" is lost. (That would be something to hear!)

TerraEpon

I don't know of any recordings (and certainly don't have any) of the Suite d'Orchestre (there's only one, though it seems to have been published a second time with movements switched around) or the Callirhoe Suite.

I have no idea about existence, but the La Sevillane Overture (and other things from said opera?) is also a thing.
And orchestrations supposedly exist of:
Menuet, Op.5
Orientale, Op. 22
Zingara, Op. 27/2
Serenade, Op. 29
Tarantelle, Op. 35/6
La Chaise a Porteurs, Op. 55/2
Idylle Arabe, Op. 55/3
Serenade d'Automne, Op. 55/4

Again....no clue about actual ability to be performed now. But I'm curious about the "Don't know what could be on it that we won't have heard before" since AFAIK all that's been recorded are the two concertante pieces (or if others have been, they are LP-only or old/obscure)

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry. I meant don't know what would be on it we haven't heard before to make up a full CD. The two orchestral suites won't do it alone, even with the addition of the two pieces in MS in Australia (which I'm pretty certain won't feature). Not sure I want to hear a fill up of a selection of her piano pieces orchestrated by others.

eschiss1

Waiting for someone to maybe announce that they've found Les amazones :) (given the history of eg this board, on some day other than March 31, tyvm. Cheers.)

TerraEpon

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Saturday 28 January 2017, 03:31
. Not sure I want to hear a fill up of a selection of her piano pieces orchestrated by others.

The list I made are of (supposedly) Chaminade's own orchestrations. Again, is they exist or not is a different story. I got the list from the "Bio-Bibliography" which unfortunately doesn't do a good job of saying what is lost, though all the above are listed in the unpublished section.

musiclover

I have tried to find out what is on the Dutton disc but all anyone will say is that it will be worth the wait! Intriguing.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI got the list from the "Bio-Bibliography" which unfortunately doesn't do a good job of saying what is lost, though all the above are listed in the unpublished section.

The Bio-Bibliography is one of the most disappointing publications of a scholarly nature that I have encountered. Not very informative on the works, and production values are also feeble (fonts awful - look like an old typewriter). AND the woman who wrote it did not have the courtesy to respond to my emails.