News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ewald Straesser (1867-1933)

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Sunday 05 February 2017, 16:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Indeed. This is major work, I suggest. The idiom strikes me as somewhere between Brahms and Reger, with some Lisztian pianistic fireworks thrown in for good measure. Let's hope cpo have it somewhere in their vaults...

eschiss1

Did Tennstedt ever program it live with an orchestra? Even if it's a studio recording for a German radio station, is there any way of figuring out what year, at least, that broadcast is from? Might be nice to know just for one's records. ... Sorry...

(Then again, since I quite like most of the music of his I've heard, I hope (e.g.!! all) his 6 symphonies, including the so-far unpublished ones that I haven't heard but whose interesting qualities and quality I will for now take on faith ( :) ), are given a chance sometime soon. Yes, I recall the first two were. 

Meanwhile while Furtwängler programmed one or two of the other four (#s 4 and 6? Mentioned in the big list of Furtwängler concerts at furtwangler.net), I'm guessing those weren't concerts of his that were recorded. ... Who knows, maybe Tahra will release them some day if so.)

(I realize I'm spending a lot of verbiage on a composer whose commercial CD representation consists of one disc at present afaik- Straesser/Marteau clarinet quintets on Sterling- though perhaps some other recordings already - for some time? - in the can...)