Ewald Straesser (1867-1933)

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Sunday 05 February 2017, 16:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Does anyone know where I can find a full score of Straesser's PC, Op. 8 (performance on You Tube)? The Ewald Streaesser Gesellschaft's website (http://ewaldstraesser.kulturserver-nrw.de/) is opaque to say the least. The Home page contains a welcome message stating: "In the menu bar you will find a download area with audio samples under the extensions in the shop. There is also a contact link and a guestbook." I can find none of these things on the menu bar which, perversely, appears at the bottom of the page!

eschiss1

I wasn't aware that even a reduction of the Vom Ende score was available... but no, I don't, sorry :(

violinconcerto

Try the "Musikwissenschaftliches Institut der Universität Köln". Thats where the scores of the violin concertos are located (as seen in my encyclopedia...)

petershott@btinternet.com

Rather irrelevant I realise. But my immediate reaction when I read Gareth Vaughan's question was to think: Can anyone tell me how to persuade a string quartet to take up and record Straesser's five String Quartets? No answer to that I guess, but I'd love the opportunity to hear them.

eschiss1

If you'd just like to hear them, try IMSLP (see eg Quartet no.4.)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteTry the "Musikwissenschaftliches Institut der Universität Köln".

I did - and it was there. Thank you very much indeed, Tobias.

JimL

I've noticed that the performance of the Stræsser Piano Concerto seems to be incomplete, unless the work is tonally progressive.  The final movement, which appears to be a scherzo is in C Major, but the concerto is in E minor.

eschiss1

_Does_ anyone have a 2-piano/piano duet score of the Straesser piano concerto? I'm guessing that's the best place to answer that question...

eschiss1

According to https://books.google.com/books?id=1qimhwbpjPEC&pg=PP13 there are 4 movements:

Moderato
Ziemlich langsam
Presto
Moderato energico.

Maybe the finale is missing after all.

Ilja

Listening to the Triendl/Tennstedt recording, that does not sound unlikely at all.

Mark Thomas

I'm sure that you're right. I believe that the YouTube recording is a copy of one from my collection which I'd previousaly uploaded to UC. That wasn't an original recording either and I can't now recall it's provenance, but I've been unable to trace any reference online to the original broadcast to check whether it was of only these three movements, or whether the finale was included and somehow got lost before it reached me.

eschiss1

... Triendl/Tennstedt recording? *blink* ??

Gareth Vaughan

That's what it says on YouTube, Eric.

britishcomposer

I have just uploaded my 2008 recording of the Sträßer concerto. This was announced as the first broadcast of this particular recording. The performers were Oliver Triendl and the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie, conducted by Werner Andreas Albert. As far as I know this is the same recording as the youtube one, including the finale.
When I joined UC I noticed that Mark had already uploaded this recording and therefore didn't upload my own. I did not download Mark's, otherwise I would have noticed that the finale was missing.

Mark Thomas

Mathias, thank you so much. That's great!