News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stojowski VC

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 17 March 2016, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

MDT's prices are permanently lower. So, for example at MDT this Stojowski CD is priced at £10.50; at jpc it's EUR15.99, down from EUR19.99. EUR15.99 equates to £12.53, so you can see that jpc's prices, even when cut, are still rather high. Answer (for us in the UK): listen to audio samples at jpc, but purchase from MDT!!

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 01 July 2016, 16:54
MDT's prices are permanently lower. .... jpc's prices, even when cut, are still rather high. Answer (for us in the UK)...... purchase from MDT!!

Yes, MDT is a wonderful resource for us in the USA too - their one-cd delivery charge is an exceedingly fair £1.25 as opposed to jpc's startling €13, which effectively doubles the price of their already-expensive cd's.  All this also tends to advocate for downloads, for those who are so inclined, anyway - there is no delivery charge and no delivery wait-time, instant acquisition.  Unfortunately downloads frequently can't be always found for a fair amount of recordings, especially for the sort of music discussed on in this forum.

Alan Howe

The Stojowski is a most enjoyable piece, well worth recording - although I'd say it's rather a by-the-numbers piece of no great individuality. Whereas, say, the Lassen VC is a rather better piece in virtually every respect - memorability, individuality, romantic ardour, etc. Come on Hyperion...

M. Yaskovsky

JPC prices are constantly lower if you live in a country close to Germany. Once a month there's free shipping to neighbouring countries Belgium, Austria, Luxemburg and The Netherlands (me!). Comes to that the rather expensive exchange rates GBP > EURO; so I buy every release at JPC.

Gareth Vaughan

Rob Barnett gives this CD a very good review on Music Web International: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Jul/Stojowski_VC_CDA68102.htm

However, he writes: "Stojowski's Violin Concerto has been recorded before by Agnieszka Marucha on Acte Préalable. It is differently coupled there. True, it is harnessed with the same Romance but on the Marucha disc you also get the Violin Sonata No. 2. That's on AP0221. The First Violin Sonata is on AP0112. There's little to choose between Marucha and Niziol and in any event the coupling is different."  Has the man got cloth ears??? They are as different as chalk and cheese!

Alan Howe

That's what I thought. Very odd...

FBerwald

Just finished hearing the Hyperion version of Stojowski VC - What a glorious concerto, the middle movement is arguable the most romantic pieces to come out of his pen except probably the 1st Piano Concerto. 

The Wieniawski, although less memorable is splendidly played. Altogether a very rewarding listen and another success for RVC.