K. Müller-Berghaus: Die Kalewainen in Pochjola opera on YLE

Started by jani, Tuesday 21 February 2017, 09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Was the libretto originally Finnish? I thought that German was the original language; it was written by Friedrich Wilhelm Otto Spengler  "freely after the Finnish national epic", not necessarily in Finnish. Still, I'm happy to be corrected.

scottevan

>Was the libretto originally Finnish? I thought that German was the original language...

I believe you're right; when I stated "the original Finnish" that was more a wish based on the subject matter. The Kalevala story is so innately Finnish that it sounds peculiar to hear it in another language, even if that is the language of the original libretto.

Alan Howe

jani

Yes, the original libretto is in German. Spengler and Müller-Berghaus read German translations of Kalevala, there were two complete translations (1852 and 1886) available at that time. Müller-Berghaus composed his opera between 1888-1890. I must say it is quite loosely based on the epic.

I also recommend to buy a program book of the opera (240 pages) with essays in four languages of the opera and its background. http://www.turkumusicfestival.fi/en/yhteystiedot-3/

Alan Howe

I can't find the publication you mention by following the link. Can you give us any further information, please?

jani

If you want to buy the program book, you need to email to Turku Music Festival office. It is not available for download.

Alan Howe