Richard Stöhr chamber series on Toccata, vol. 3

Started by Sharkkb8, Saturday 20 October 2018, 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

Two violin sonatas - according to Toccata "the first two of fifteen".   If there really are 13 more to come, and since #2 dates from 1923, one might be nervous about future suitability for this forum.  But, for the moment, this present disc sounds lovely, if Toccata's blurb is to be believed: 

"His generous output of music, being rediscovered at last in these Toccata Classics recordings, includes seven symphonies, much chamber music, songs, and choral and piano pieces. The first two of his fifteen violin sonatas offer a seamless outpouring of fin de siècle Viennese lyricism, with one good tune following another, in a style somewhere between Brahms and Korngold."

Release date 1 Nov.

https://toccataclassics.com/product/richard-stohr-chamber-music-three/

eschiss1

Erm... what do you mean "IF there really are 13 more to come"?

May I suggest looking at IMSLP? All 15 violin sonatas are there, in uploaded manuscripts (qv under "V".) As to sustainability for this forum, no.15 in B-flat major from 1950 Op.134b seems, like his other music, at least on the edge of our remit to me, but it's not up to me, I admit.

Sharkkb8

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 23 October 2018, 04:13
Erm... what do you mean "IF there really are 13 more to come"?

I meant "IF there really are 13 more to come.....from Toccata."   As we all know, sometimes these earnestly planned sets, especially ones with many, many prospective volumes, frequently never come to complete fruition.  Sorry for being less than precise.

eschiss1

ah, got you now. Well, we'll find out if and when we do, though their planning is only part of the answer.

eschiss1

btw the Stöhr website has some interesting information that I assume needs updating (and hopefully will be) (but is still interesting...) about recent concerts, etc., of his music...