Maximilian Steinberg - Violin Concerto

Started by Christopher, Tuesday 03 February 2015, 16:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

In the Composer Catalogues which some here and elsewhere have so kindly given of their time to produce, the entry for Maximilian Steinberg gives "1946: Violin Concerto, op.37: 30 minutes"  (for example, see http://composers.gulabin.com/).

My understanding is that where a length of time is given, this indicates that the piece has been recorded.

Does anyone know if there is indeed a recording of Steinberg's Violin Concerto? And, if so, where one can find it?

eschiss1

It might just mean length of the premiere performance or even just a composer's estimate. Still, if there is a recorded performance, I'd be interested to know. Those catalogues were often compiled by a user/some members here and used to be hosted (many still are) in an archived section here, are just mirrored at Gulabin, btw.

eschiss1

Well, the Gulabin list (once posted here) is incomplete. It doesn't give "Op.31" for his 5th symphony (published posthumously in 1986), for instance. (Or Op.28 for the Capriccio-Poem "V Armenii"/In Armenia.)

Also, Metamorphosen seems to have been published as Op.10, not  Op.13 as given in the PDF. (Shouldn't "Overture to the musical drama Tokhir and Zukhra" Op.30 have been included in a list of orchestral works (date unknown by me, published 1947)- possibly, don't know, though it is dramatic in origin. Ah well!)

Alan Howe

Interestingly, Toskey gives 30 minutes as the duration of the VC.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

And to think I posted that thread on 27th April? Where have you been, guys? Lol

Alan Howe

Obviously not checking other threads... >:(

der79sebas

Well, if there is a thread where the existence of a Steinberg VC recording is questioned, I find it natural to give the information here and not silently wait for people to look for other threads, which do not even mention Steinberg in their title. And it would be a little bit childish to expect people to read all threads, wouldn't it?

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteWell, if there is a thread where the existence of a Steinberg VC recording is questioned, I find it natural to give the information here and not silently wait for people to look for other threads, which do not even mention Steinberg in their title. And it would be a little bit childish to expect people to read all threads, wouldn't it?
No criticism of you intended. My point was that I would expect most members of this forum to check a thread regarding new releases by Dutton, since this label records so much music by composers who are unsung and whose music falls within our remit, so I was surprised that the release had not been noted already. It's not a big deal.
As for me, I check every new posting as it appears, in case I miss something!

Alan Howe

QuoteAnd it would be a little bit childish to expect people to read all threads, wouldn't it?

You don't have to. A simple search would suffice before you post - and would be of immense help to the moderators so that we don't have to tidy up duplicate threads which help no-one.