Alberto Curci (1886-1973) VCs

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 13 May 2017, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

This music on this CD could have been written 50 years earlier, but if you're looking for balm for the soul after a stressful week, this is the recording for you...

Alan Howe

...oh and the slow movements are drop-dead gorgeous.

Mark Thomas

As you say, Alan. Lovely stuff. I see that it'll be available digitally on my birthday next month. Can't be a coincidence, can it?

Alan Howe

JimL

Could someone please try and find the tempo indication for the finale of the VC 2?

eschiss1

The second concerto (all 3, even?) has been published fairly widely (Curci's own company, it seems, in 1963, in piano reduction) and shouldn't be too hard for someone to find a copy at a library or something to check...

Alan Howe

The CD is no help, I'm afraid, Jim.

eschiss1

Neither is the LP of concertos 1 & 2, judging from some images of the back cover that have been uploaded. Hopefully someone has access to the reduced score (U. Northern Iowa, U. Southern Mississippi, E. Washington University, UC Berkeley, Bibliothèque Nationale de France, and copies also at    Biblioteca del Conservatorio di musica Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, Biblioteca del Conservatorio statale di musica Giorgio Federico Ghedini, Biblioteca del Conservatorio di musica Luigi Canepa.

There's also besides the three concertos (Opp.21,30,33) a concertino in A minor listed @ SBN (for violin & piano but perhaps there's an orchestral version?) and some other concertante music?

violinconcerto

My encyclopedia gives tempo markings for all three violin concertos - you just have to check. Here is a free download of my book:

https://www.tobias-broeker.de/download-ebook/

Best,
Tobias

Alan Howe

Thanks. 'Allegro moderato' is the answer.