News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Charles Horsley

Started by mikehopf, Wednesday 12 July 2017, 09:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 12 July 2017, 22:52
The Horsley  Violin Concerto in Dm Op.29 is to be performed on 7th October at Monash University.

Entry is free, so all it will cost you is the flight to Australia. A small price to pay for such a treat!

I'll be contacting both the university and 3MBS, our local classical music station, to see if the concert is being recorded and/or broadcast.

Any idea if it was recorded/broadcast in the end? Or if it will be performed again?

eschiss1

There was a plan (did it happen?) to perform the recently-published concerto at the U Arkansas (Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States) on Oct. 11 2016, even. Don't know if either performance happened. Anyone have followup info?

semloh

I checked with authorities at the Monash venue, and the concert was not broadcast or recorded. What a pity!  :(

mikehopf

I was at the Horsley concert at Monash University which, despite their denials, was certainly recorded.

I have been phoning both their Music Library and Media Centre many times and just get palmed off with the usual: "We'll get back to you".

My next approach will be to contact the soloist, Sophie Rowell,

Anyway, forward we go... and we DO go!

semloh

Well, that's odd, Mike. Maybe a recording was done without official approval.
I hope we aren't poking the possum! ;D

Alan Howe

semloh

Sorry, that was a bit careless. It's a quaint phrase from around these 'ere parts! There are several versions, more commonly "stir the possum', all roughly meaning stirring up a hornets nest.....

Gareth Vaughan

Some possums are meant to be poked!

Mark Thomas

What a sheltered life I seem to have led!

mikehopf

You poke a possum to see if it is dead. I'm sharpening my stick as I write.

Martin Eastick

For those interested in my previous mention (13th July 2017 posting) of a CD recording of Horsley's String quartet in C, performed by the Australian String Quartet, it seems that the actual CD never materliased, but the download is available here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Edward-Horsley-String-Quartet/dp/B08NDW7QBR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Horsley+string+quartet&qid=1639061433&s=dmusic&sr=1-1.

Also, is there any further information concerning the "recording"  or otherwise, of the performance at Monash University of the Violin Concerto? It seems an awful waste of time and effort if this first performance of what seems to be an important and interesting work is not made available to further Horsley's cause.

Mark Thomas

The String Quartet is also available on Spotify.