News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Obscure Furtwängler

Started by Ilja, Tuesday 25 June 2019, 20:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Hello everyone,
I have unfruitfully tried to track a recording of a few obscure (and early) Furtwängler works:

• Ouvertüre in E flat, Op. 3/WF 84
  • Festouvertüre in F, WF 108
  • Adagio/Largo in B minor, WF 110a
The first and last were recorded in rather anemic performances unter Alfred Walter on Marco Polo, but it seems there's a second recording around with the Furtwängler Institute Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra under Takeo Noguchi. However, I can't find this CD anywhere at all. I would be greatful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Alan Howe

Why not try contacting them?>>>
http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~otakesan/furt_eng.htm
(Email address at foot of page)

Ilja

I did try that. No reaction despite three attempts, though...

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Worldcat lists a recording of WF 108 under Noguchi, issued 1998, but with different couplings-  2 piano sonatas and 2 fantasies (+ a Furtwängler recording of Bruckner 8, for 2 CDs of music..). Are you sure they also issued it with similar couplings to the Marco Polo disc?
(I see that 2011 recordings conducted by Noguchi of Furtwängler's "symphonic concerto" and 3rd symphony (not sure atm if a completion of the finale is used)) exist too.)

Edit: Amazon lists Brahms op56/Furtwängler 2 under his baton, intriguingly (though I'm very satisfied with Barenboim/Chicago on Teldec.)

Ilja

In the meantime, Noguchi has gotten in touch and sent me links to his interpretations. Very kind of him. I have asked whether he'd agree to me posting them here, but no word yet.

Ilja

It has been "currently unavailable" for over two years by now, though...

Alan Howe

Oh, quite. And is the orchestra up to scratch anyway (see the Amazon.com review)?