News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Atterberg Sinfonia piccola

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 02 May 2013, 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

According to the Swedish Musical Heritage website (and "Finn R."'s page on the Sinfonia piccola"), this 1918 symphony was published (also in 1918, by Leuckart. I am assuming, apologies, that Atterberg more or less, at least for this work and much of it- not his 9th symphony, I know- falls within our writ and remit). The composer revised it in 1945, expanding the scherzo by about 160 bars and making some other, minor, changes; this version is available for hire but may have to be edited from the autograph available from hire so I'm assuming - also from the 1-or-so minute timings of the scherzi in the recordings of the symphony - that it's only been played from the published score. Or - has it been played in its revised version, has an edition been made?

britishcomposer

I would like to draw your attention to the following essay which explores the subject of Atterberg's revisions.

https://musikforskning.se/stm-sjm/sites/default/files/pdf/Finkel%20STM–SJM%202015.webb__0.pdf

The author mentions that only one recording of the revised version of No. 4 exists: Sten Frykberg conducted the Swedish Radioorkestern in a 1956 performance. In his later recordings of 1970 and 1976 he used the original 1918 version. We do not have a commercial recording of the revised version. So I would be very interested to know if any kind member may posses a copy of this 1956 radio recording?

eschiss1

Thanks. (BTW this -seems- to refer to Rosengren's 1998 recording for P2 as being of the 1918/45 performance, but in light of the above article seems likely to just be misleading. Svensk media databas does -not- list the 1956 recording by Frykberg, unfortunately! )

"While no recordings exist of the complete new version, there is one historical recording of the mixed version (1918 but with 1945 scherzo) available." - ah ok, I understand.