Farrenc’s other piano concertante

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 06 March 2021, 13:28

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Does anyone know of a recording of this set of piano and orchestra variations by Louise Farrenc in F (mirrored from BNF), apparently not engraved, or some other info about it? Looks interesting.
Other as in not the Gallenberg set whose orchestral form was recently recorded.

Double-A

Do you know: Is this Farrenc's usual handwriting? It looks awfully anal to me.

Alan Howe

QuoteIt looks awfully anal to me

Please explain!

Double-A

The writing looks as if an extremely, shockingly perfectionist person wrote it.  There were other composers who wrote beautiful manuscripts.  Bach would probably be the best example.  But Bach's or Mozart's and Röntgen's handwriting has a personal appearance, is obviously the work of an adult.  This work looks like written by an extremely conscientious school age child.  Look at the alto clef for example:  How long do you think it takes to write it like this (on every page!)?

To me it does just not fit the person I imagine composed Farrenc's music.

Gareth Vaughan

It might be a copyist's hand. I've seen plenty of scores similarly transcribed. I don't think it is childlike. It is far too fluent for that. 19th century copyists were very skilled in producing neat, uniform scores.

eschiss1

Oh. I just found the catalog listing. Sorry, I wasted everyone's time. It's Moscheles' op.32 (Grandes variations sur un thème militaire), as possibly (piano/)orchestrated by Farrenc; IMSLP has it mislisted. Just moved the page (and put the file under Moscheles' op.32 variations.)