News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jean Louis Nicodé

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 15 December 2009, 03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Hi all,

I'm resurrecting a very old thread here, and hope no one minds. But the recordings that are spoken of above have never been released by cpo, and I wondered whether someone might know a bit more about them and/or their fate.

Also, I stumbled across the digital performances of two of Nicodé's most prestigious works by Steffen Fahl:

• Gloria! Ein Sturm- und Sonnenlied, Symphonie in einem Satze für Grosses Orchester, Orgel und (Schluss-)Chor (1903)
  • Das Meer, Symphony-Ode after Karl Woermann (1888)
They can be found (and heard) here. They are more listenable than I anticipated, and will probably be the only way we can enjoy these works for some time to come, anyway.

adriano

Such a pity! Thinking that I had proposed this composer to Marco Polo (without success) already around 1990!

eschiss1

Even now _very_ little by him seems to have been commercially recorded, though. Will have to keep a lookout for any changes :)

Martin Eastick

With reference to Nicodé's piano music, I have a more than a little suspicion that something will be happening in the not-too-distant future on the recording front!

Alan Howe

What did he write, Martin? Anything major in his later maturity?

eschiss1

Looking up stuff on Worldcat I see a late (late-published?) set of 6 Aphorisms in addition to somewhat more minor-looking things (judging only from title)  published later in his life...

Martin Eastick

Nicodé's output overall is not particularly prolific, but then that is perhaps hardly surprising considering the magnitude of his substantial orchestral/choral works! I do have all the piano music, which is currently on loan, and would say that apart from the Sonata Op19 and Variations Op18, the most substantial and certainly worthy of performance etc., would be the 6 Phantasiestücke Op6 entitled "Andenken an Robert Schumann", and also the 2 Charakterstücke Op9. Apart from works of lesser stature, which are nevertheless still worthy of attention, there is a Polonaise Op5.

I cannot at this moment say what the final choice may be, but suffice to say I'm sure will be a welcome addition if all goes according to plan! It would also be a good idea to have BOTH cello sonatas performed and recorded - certainly the Phaedra CD of the Op25 G major sonata whets the appetite to hear the earlier work as well!

Alan Howe

Personally I have not found Nicodé's earlier music all that individual; it's his later (orchestral/choral) works that interest me, but I wonder whether we'll ever get to hear them recorded (as opposed to electronically rendered).

I should add, though, that I'd buy any CD with music of his!

pedrito

hi everyone
Nicodé's second cello sonata in G major has been recorded in the '90s by Belgian pianist Jozef de Beenhouwer and Dutch cellist Marien Van Staalen, on the Phaedra label. Interesting work, very lyrical and well written for both instruments. The CD also includes the world premiere recording of August de Boeck's cello sonata (discovered by the pianist on the recording).

Alan Howe

It's a nice piece - but nothing really special, in my view. As I've said before, it's his late works that really interest me.

UnsungMasterpieces

I listened to the Gloria! last week, and I must say that, if I were to hear it performed by a real orchestra in concert, it is one of my favourite symphonies.
My favourite passage is what sounds like a waltz, around 17 minutes into the 3rd movement.