2018 concerts with music by female composers in Switzerland – Tyrrell, Beach etc

Started by Wheesht, Thursday 21 September 2017, 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

soundwave106

Generally speaking, forums with moderation in the technical / academic / logic direction tend to be overwhelmingly male dominated at least in who posts and participates. (It's even more the case if the medium is rather argumentative in nature, as Wikipedia is at present).

I cannot say what the demographics of those who merely observe are though -- remember that observers are the vast majority. Possibly the record companies might actually have better data on who buys the more obscure composers. I don't think accurate gender balance observations can truly be made based on who posts on a forum, except perhaps in the narrow context of above.

Generally speaking, the statistics I can Google (for example this, although a bit old) seems to show, for listeners overall, an overall slight lean towards females for classical music as a whole, with a similar lean for operas and a strong female lean for ballet.

Wheesht

Quote from: Wheesht on Saturday 10 March 2018, 15:50
According to the "frauenkomponiert" website, the symphony concert with works by Agnes Tyrell, Amy Beach, Alma Deutscher etc. will be broadcast on Swiss radio next month:

Im Konzertsaal, 19.04.2018, 20-22 Uhr, Radio SRF2 Kultur – https://www.srf.ch/sendungen/im-konzertsaal

I just caught up with the broadcast of this concert and was wondering if anyone else has heard it?

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the link, Thomas. I've added a link to an mp3 of Tyrell's Overture to Die Könige in Israel to our Downloads Board.