Mel Bonis Orchestral Works

Started by Richard Moss, Monday 21 June 2021, 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Firstly, my thanks to Britishcomposer for uploading Mel Bonis's Suite Orientale.  Along with Mayer's Symphony No. 6 (only syms 7 and 8 to go now?!), this could well be a mouth-watering selection to listen to.

As I'd never heard any of Mel Bonis' works before (orchestral or otherwise), this upload prompted me to do a bit of sleuthing and eventually I found available a CD of all her orchestral works (see link below, and possibly elsewhere too?), recorded by the Bucharest Symphony Orchestra about a decade ago.

This doesn't seem to be listed with any of the major retailers nor are any other details obviously available on-line either about these works (or even liner notes).

The works recorded are listed as:
•   Suite en Forme de Valses
•   Danse Sacree
•   Les Femmes de Legendes
•   Suite Orientale
•   Sarabande
•   Pavane
•   Pourree (= Bourre)

https://laboiteamusique.eu/brand/le-chant-du-linos/page/2/

Best wishes

Richard

Wheesht

It is a somewhat obscure label, it is true. I bought that CD a couple of years ago, directly from the Association Mel Bonis if I remember correctly. It's still available from their web shop.

TerraEpon

I never found the CD at an easy to buy from place, but pretty sure I've seen it on the 'usual suspects' for streaming/downloading.

rosflute

Mel Bonis works are very popular with flute players now and frequently performed. most are published and recorded.

semloh

Music by Mel Bonis is regularly broadcast by Australia's ABC Classic FM, and apparently (and rightly, I think) meets with much listener approval. Let's hope more finds its way to mainstream CD.