Raff String Quartets 5 & 7

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 11 May 2022, 15:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Apparently the person responsible for despatching CDs from MDG to the UK distributor has been unwell; there has also been a hold-up at the port in Germany from which the CDs are shipped to the UK. 

I understand that the most likely release date will now be early September.

I can also report that CDs ordered from jpc in Germany are taking 2-3 weeks to arrive, compared with about 5 days a few months ago.

Alan Howe

Good news! My copy's on its way from Presto!

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

How about cancelling your Amazon order and giving Presto a ring on 01926 886883 as they're saying they've got it in stock?
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9330015--joachim-raff-string-quartets-no-5-op-13-no-7-op-192-2

Mark Thomas

The reason I ordered from Amazon, which I wouldn't normally do, is that I had a gift card which was about to expire (and would have expired by now), so I used that to pay for the CD. I'll just hang on till next weekend...

Alan Howe

Oh, I see. I'm sure another week or so won't matter, then.

I hope to be able to report on the CD, particularly on SQ5, in a day or two.

Excerpts now available at jpc:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/streichquartett-5-7/hnum/10937037

Alan Howe

SQ5 is everything you might expect from Raff: wonderful craftsmanship, dynamism, melodiousness, rhythmic surprises. In short, this is magnificent string quartet writing which every ensemble worth their salt should be playing. Its neglect is an unfathomable mystery. You will be astonished at its mastery.

Sharkkb8

Just a minor quick thing - MDG's back cover lists the #5 quartet as "C major", while virtually everywhere else I look, I see G major.  This is the sort of thing that is often readily noticed around here, and I did a quick search to see if it had been addressed....apologies if I missed it somewhere.

Alan Howe

MDG have got it wrong throughout. Grrr - I hadn't spotted that. Good job the performance and recording are so good.

Mark Thomas

Definitely G major. My copy of the CD is waiting for me when I get home.

Mark Thomas

I've at last got my hands on this CD and must say that the Leipzig Quartet's performances of both works are first rate. For No.7, Die Schöne Müllerin, they have competition and there's little to choose between the three alternatives, any one of which would be a good choice. For me, the Mannheim Quartet on cpo give a rather more relaxed and cosy rendition than the Quartetto di Milano on Tudor, who lend it just a little more urgency, stopping some of the movements lapsing into salon territory. The Leipzigers give a very similar interpretation and benefit from a more open acoustic, making their new recording my first choice. This is the recording premiere of No.5, so all eight string quartets are now available in various combinations on CD. It's a sunny, angst-free work which gets a very persuasive performance here, the Leipzig Quartet really do seem to understand Raff's intentions, in the same way that Tra Nguyen's piano performances seem to inhabit the spirit of his works. This CD should be a must-buy for any Raff enthusiast.