Sorabji's 2nd Organ Symphony - World Premiere Broadcasts

Started by Sequentia, Monday 23 April 2012, 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydney Grew

The broadcast of the final movement does not seem to have taken place does it?

It is advertised here:

http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids.php?month=0&date=2012-05-23

as due to begin at four in the morning, so I set my computer to start at half past three and stop at seven (since I believe the movement takes three hours. After a couple of hours my internet connection broke down (regrettably a common occurrence), but during that couple of hours nothing I would call "music" was broadcast, and certainly nothing by Sorabji.

In fact on closer inspection there are TWO programmes advertised as due to begin at four in the morning!

doctorpresume

Quote from: Sydney Grew on Thursday 24 May 2012, 09:32
The broadcast of the final movement does not seem to have taken place does it?

It is advertised here:

http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids.php?month=0&date=2012-05-23

as due to begin at four in the morning, so I set my computer to start at half past three and stop at seven (since I believe the movement takes three hours. After a couple of hours my internet connection broke down (regrettably a common occurrence), but during that couple of hours nothing I would call "music" was broadcast, and certainly nothing by Sorabji.

In fact on closer inspection there are TWO programmes advertised as due to begin at four in the morning!

I think that's a mistake, Sydney (and clearly not the first Concertzender have made over these Sorabji broadcasts). The broadcast of the third movement (along with Bowyer's commercial recording of Sorabji's 1st organ symphony and more of Bowyer's Alkan recordings) is due to take place at midnight (Dutch time) TONIGHT.

Sydney Grew

Ah - I see! Oh well, I'll try again to-night. Thank you!

Gijs vdM

It is a bit of a mistake in the making perhaps, to advertise a program on a Thursday when stricktly speaking it is aired (wired?) on a Friday

So to perhaps prevent further possible misses, the program of both this week and next (both containg Mvt 3 from OS2, and the whole of OS1 with some Alkan sprinkled on top) are to be on FRIDAY (25May and 1June), running from 00:00 to 07:00 CET.

Enjoy!

All best,
Gijs

ahinton

Whilst it's now almost six years since this monumental work was last discussed here, I should update by mentioning that it was played last year to inagurate the new Klais organ at University of Iowa before the largest audience ever to attend a Sorabji performance. That record has now been well and truly overtaken, as Kevin Bowyer is now scheduled to play it once more in the fabulous Great Hall of Hamburg's prestigious Elbphilharmonie on 20 May this year, commencing at 18.00, but don't all rush for tickets, since this event sold out 4½ months ago - and the hall holds at least 2,000! Returns might be available on the day. I do not yet know if it will be recorded for broadcast.

Mark Thomas

Since the penultimate post in this thread was made our remit has changed to focus exclusively on music from the romantic era, or composed in that style. This work clearly falls way outside those criteria (the final few minutes are available on YouTube). Consequently I've locked this thread.