Urspruch PC & Symphony at last!

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 21 December 2017, 22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

A 2 CD set which, I believe, contains an overture and a suite as well as the PC and symphony. Am I right, Alan?

Alan Howe

It's certainly a 2-CD set, but I don't know what else it contains.

Mark Thomas

As my mother would say: "I'm sure it's very nice, if you like that sort of thing, dear". I do like this sort of thing, but not quite so much of it in one helping as both these works serve up. Still, it'll be a must-buy, of course.

Ilja

I DO like this sort of thing, and I adore this particular thing. Ordered this immediately. Although even for CPO the time it took them to get the symphony to publication must be a record. I've had the radio recording for well over ten years.

Alan Howe

I'm with Ilja. Ordered it straight away...

Mark Thomas

I'm quite happy to be in a minority of one. I shall order it too, I shall enjoy the music, but I'd enjoy both pieces more if Urspruch hadn't been quite so self-indulgent.

Gareth Vaughan

Sometime next year of course we shall have another recording of the Urspruch PC, on Hyperion, to compare with this one. Some will doubtless complain about duplication of rare repertoire, but I personally think it is healthy to have more than one interpretation available of a work and I shall almost certainly buy this double CD and the Hyperion when it comes out. As noted elsewhere on this forum the Hyperion disc will couple the Urspruch with the Bronsart PC.

Alan Howe

..and I'll be buying the forthcoming Hyperion CD too, for the reasons Gareth gives.

Mark Thomas

... and I'll be buying it for the Bronsart!  ;)

Revilod

Me too! Bronsart's concerto is a real corker!

Alan Howe

eschiss1

cpo's new release page and specific page for the Urspruch now mentions this recording as due out... last week (in Germany).

M. Yaskovsky

Received the 2Cd-set last Saturday. Brought me a pleasant evening, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms all went along.....
Good recording. The Pianoconcerto was recorded, March 16-19, 2009 and the Symphony December 12-16, 2006!

Alan Howe

It's interesting that he was a pupil of Raff. I can hear nothing of his teacher in his music.