Tiroler-Landersmuseen - Winter Sale (2017): Netzer Syms 2 & 3 available!

Started by Richard Moss, Friday 29 December 2017, 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Apologies to moderators for this 'new' post - couldn't find the earlier thread on this.

My Xmas present to myself (some further T-L CDs I wanted) arrived just before xmas.  As usual, Silvia was most helpful in helping to complete my order and get it despatched. 

The reason for this post is to bring to the attention of members that the CD with symphonies 2 & 3 by Josef NETZER is still available, even though the on-line shop doesn't list it.  I've already given them a first play-through and I found them really enjoyable (the sort of simple binary decision I make now is - DO I WANT TO LISTEN TO THIS OR NOT?  Life is too short to spend time on stuff that isn't enjoyable).

A definite YES was the answer (I'd already got his Syms 1 & 4 the other year).  Anyway, just to let you know they are still there if you want them!  (you just need to contact Silvia to get her to arrange to ship them to you)

Hope members had a good Xmas and will have a happy new year

Cheers

Richatrd 

Alan Howe

Thanks, Richard. It's extremely good of you to pass on that information - and I have modified the thread subject accordingly.

Perhaps you would post any further thoughts about the two Netzer symphonies here when you feel like it?

Richard Moss

As I've noted before, I know I'm not a skilled listener nor particularly insightful and my musical education finished some 60 years ago so I can only give my overall impressions.  The music I have found to be delightful to listen to, somewhere between Schumann and Schubert. Schubertian was my immediate reaction on a first hearing - the rest is a bit of (I hope constructive) embellishment after further listenings. I'm on my third or fourth play through as I type! 

For example, the somewhat dramatic opening to Symphony 1 might be early Beethoven but the force then slackens to something lighter. Overall, they do not have quite the richness of orchestration or mastery of melody and harmony of say Brahms or Tchaikovsky, not the lightness with deftness and filigree of Mendelssohn or Chopin and not quite the fullness of Rufinatscha but I think they're very good in the middle ground of all the above.

I regret I don't have the recall or familiarity with UC treasures such as Raff or Ries etc to compare with those (whilst I have most of their orchestral music and I know I've enjoyed their works immensely, Ido not to recall them specifically) so I've relied on the major works I'm more familiar with.

Thoroughly recommended.  I'm off to dig out his symphonies 1 & 4 which I bought a couple of years ago and listen again to them as well.

Best wishes

Richard