Dobrzynski Symphony 2 & Piano Concerto

Started by jonah, Tuesday 26 March 2013, 20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

jonah

New Chandos release for April (2 CDs for the price of one - CHAN10778(2) )of Dobrzynski's Piano Concerto, Symphony 2 in C minor, op15 and Monbar overture.  Pianist is Emilian Madey, with the Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Łucasz Borowicz.
Further information in Future Releases section of Presto Classical's website.

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

Never heard the symphony, but I have heard the PC.

Pretty Chopinic which is not surprising considering they were both in Elsner's class, where they probably did not learn much that was going to influence their style.

Looking forward to the Symphony.

Thal

petershott@btinternet.com

I guess Chandos have priced this 2 CD set as a single CD, since it is in partial competition to the fairly recent Howard Shelley / Sinfonia Varsovia recording of the concerto (where he pairs it with Lessel's C major concerto of 1801). I enjoyed that recording, although the Dobrzynski concerto didn't stop me in my tracks. It is a very early work, with lots of flair, fairly predictable, and certainly 'pretty' enough. Appears as if I'm condemning the work - which I'm not! But heigh ho, I can see a duplicate recording on my shelves all for the sake of acquiring the symphony which I've never heard.

In contrast I find some of his chamber works more satisfying - there is a very pleasing Op. 7 Quartet, and two delightful Quintets on Acte Prealable.

I certainly don't get cross with the ways of record companies - but I can't help emit a slight ouch when, with a largely unknown composer, two recordings of the same work come along at the same time. (Bit like those proverbial London buses in the fog!)

Alan Howe

I doubt whether the record companies are usually aware of possible duplications.

petershott@btinternet.com

And (sadly!), Alan, I guess record companies won't take much note of whether we agree or disagree!

True, you wouldn't expect British and Polish recording teams or companies to compare recording plans. But then ours is a small world, and there's a fairly vibrant grapevine always buzzing away - especially when someone of the stature of Howard Shelley is involved. Recordings tend not to happen in close secrecy, but are often based around concerts.

I bought my Dobrzynski concerto in February 2012, so when that disc was released I guess the Chandos commitment to record was already set in concrete.

But why on earth am I writing this post!! I've got no desire to defend with my life and honour the point about the recording world. I'm rather glad of the Chandos forthcoming disc, and it is already on the order list. Just a pity Chandos hadn't coupled the Symphony with another work - I don't know what (maybe Symphony 1 if that was published?)

markniew

Yes, Chandos could make coupling with symphony no. 1 in B flat major op. 11 (1829). There exist its radio recording done by Polish National Radio SO under Jan Krenz. I will try to upload it for  fans of Dobrzyński.
as to symphony no. 2 I got it off BBC 3 some 10 yeaas ago. The recording was however done for the Polish Radio archives with Polish National Radio SO under Ruben Silva.

eschiss1

This seems to me to be good news, from the works of his I've heard on/rebroadcast/syndicated by BBC (including that 2nd symphony and some chamber music, yes.) Thanks for the additional information. (Jan Krenz has recorded quite a bit, 150 years? at least of Polish music, and from what I've heard fairly well. I was surprised to read that Karol Stryja had died and awhile back, though. Sigh! Anyhow, thanks again.)

SebastiaanG

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 26 March 2013, 22:35
I doubt whether the record companies are usually aware of possible duplications.

just for fun and enlightment....

Rupert Sheldrake already postulated his theories about brainwaves.
Just as in his example people trying to solve the crossword puzzle hours after delivery have a simple task, in record company language it means that when one person starts talking about recording certain pieces many start on the topic...

Or might it be the situation-change where whereabouts of musicprint gets better known. The last I will undermine with the example of the last Chadwick recordings,... Where Refference Recordings ended their recordings for lack of printed music, Tudor went in search of originals to play unrecorded pieces.

jerfilm

Marek did I understand you to say above that you also have a recording of Symphony #2?
  I mean a radio braodcast?

Jerry

eschiss1

that's (symphony 2) been rebroadcast over BBC/Euroclassic Notturno (from Polish Radio) a few times so I wouldn't be surprised if someone had digitized it. It's enjoyable, I remember thinking...

pianoconcerto

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Tuesday 26 March 2013, 23:24

I bought my Dobrzynski concerto in February 2012, so when that disc was released I guess the Chandos commitment to record was already set in concrete.

But why on earth am I writing this post!! I've got no desire to defend with my life and honour the point about the recording world. I'm rather glad of the Chandos forthcoming disc, and it is already on the order list. Just a pity Chandos hadn't coupled the Symphony with another work - I don't know what (maybe Symphony 1 if that was published?)

Lest it go unnoticed, the Chandos recording of the piano concerto appears to be different and more complete than the first one on Selene and maybe even the recent one by Shelley.  Does the Shelley CD identify which edition he plays? 

The Selene CD has the reconstruction by Kazimierz Rozbicki (c. 1986) and runs for 35:40.  The Chandos has the reconstruction by Krzysztof Baculewski (said in the liner notes to reflect the initial edition and restore cuts later marked by the composer) as well as a cadenza by the pianist, Emilian Madey, in the finale.  This recording is over 40 minutes long.  The Shelley is under 32 minutes.  I don't have the score so can't say if the shorter duration is due to taking the aforementioned cuts and/or because of faster tempi.

eschiss1

There's another link, btw, here, directly at Chandos.net with a (different?) music sample and a downloadable PDF of the booklet notes.
Wonder what else Borowicz has been performing lately and if any of the more interesting (now-there's-a-subjective-term) stuff will be making it to the studio... (well, I could do worse than looking at his personal homepage... wander wander)

Alan Howe

Symphony No.2 is rather a good piece, by the way - in a quasi-Beethovenian sort of way. Very well done here too.