Magnard Symphony no 1

Started by dhibbard, Sunday 29 March 2020, 05:59

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

There is a new recording of Magnard Symphony no 1 (1889) on Naxos.   I just wonder how it compares to the BIS and EMI versions?    Has anyone heard it and is it worth purchasing?

Ilja

The one Dhibbard is referring to is a new recording of Magnard's first two symphonies on Naxos with the Freiburg PhO conducted by Fabrice Ballon (3&4 were released last year).
I'm not that familiar with BIS, but know Plasson's EMI cycle with the Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse quite well - and that one's very good, in my view. From what I heard, there's not a huge difference in approach between him and Bollon; Plasson is perhaps a bit more "fluent", which mainly shows in the slow movement of the 2nd symphony. However, the Naxos recording improves markedly on the EMI's somewhat thin sound, particularly in the lower registers.

jdperdrix

I got both 1-2 and 3-4. They are worth listening. They are played more "nervously" than Plasson did. The sound is definitely much better, especially in Hi-Res. The rest of Magnard's orchestral music is to be released in April.
They are on special from Qobuz (€ 3.50 CD quality and € 4.50 Hi-Res each).

eschiss1

most reviews of the BIS and EMI cycles suggest that Ossonce on Hyperion is better. I have Plasson on EMI in nos. 1 and 3 and have heard him in 2 and 4, and have at least access (NML/IMSLP) to the BIS recordings (I may have heard the Hyperion recordings)- the Naxos recordings may become available on NML for obvious reasons eventually given what the N stands for though there is usually a significant time delay (especially in the IMSLP version :) - but still, I'm not actually complaining, considering.)

That said...
the new Naxos recording of Op.4 is faster (according to their website) than the BIS recording in -each- movement, slow or otherwise:

I. Strepitoso. BIS: 10:27 - Naxos: 10:13 - Hyperion: 10:03 - EMI: 9:33
II. Religioso. BIS: 9:44 - Naxos: 8:41 (!!!) - Hyperion: 9:04 - EMI: 9:03
III. Presto. BIS: 4:02 - Naxos: 3:55 - Hyperion: 3:37 - EMI: 3:58
IV. Molto energico. BIS: 9:07 -  Naxos: 8:35 - Hyperion: 8:23 - EMI: 7:50

In symphony No.2:

I. Ouverture. BIS: 11:11 - Naxos: 10:19 - Hyperion: 9:59 - EMI: 11:17
II. Danses. BIS: 5:58 Naxos: 4:58 Hyperion: 5:26 - EMI: 5:48
III. Chant varié. BIS: 15:11 Naxos: 12:29 Hyperion: 12:11 - EMI: 13:57
IV. Finale. Vif et gai. BIS: 9:18 Naxos: 9:10 Hyperion: 8:28 - EMI: 8:48

Perhaps the BIS recording is too slow. So checking the Hyperion recording, say... even faster than Naxos in symphony no.1 (except in the Religioso) - and faster than both in symphony no.2 (except in Danses) . Some of this could be due to decision not to take some repeats, by the way- in symphony no.3, for example (finale) there is at least one (exposition- the finale is basically a sonata form) repeat that only one available recording does take, iirc.