News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Guillaume Lekeu (1870-1894)

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 29 December 2010, 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Today I heard his Adagio for String Orchestra, op. 3. I cannot even say it's a beautiful piece, but it's definitely very sombre. There are quite a number of CD's with chamber music available, including his beloved sonata for violin and piano in G major, and for New Year's Day another release is announced by jpc, please view here

What is your opinion of the music from this Belgian composer, who died so suddenly one day after his 24th birthday, at the top of his fame, due to typhoid fever after eating a sorbet.

A very healthy, prosperous, musical and smashing 2011 to all of you!'
Peter

giles.enders

I do agree with you, I have always liked Lekeu's chamber music but find I always need to listen to it when I'm alone. 

Gerhard Griesel

I discovered that Presto Classical sells an eight CD set of this remarkable composer.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8073405--guillaume-lekeu-les-fleurs-pales-du-souvenir
In terms of romantic works for organ and orchestra discussed elsewhere on this forum, he also composed a beautiful organ-and-orchestra piece Epithalame pour orgue et orchestra.

adriano

Thsis Lekeu box ist absolutely splendid - including its presentation and liner notes!

scottevan

Yes, in his short life span he created some remarkable works. I particularly enjoy his sonatas (violin, cello) and the piano trio. "Fantasy on an Angevin Air" has a strong, French-folk flavor. But above all, his cantata "Andromede" is what astonishes me. Not all of it, especially, but the finale in particular is one of the most blazing conclusions to a choral work I've ever heard.