"I love Russian music" thread

Started by Mark Thomas, Sunday 04 March 2018, 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Well in that case I'm steering clear of Salisbury for a while then.

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

Much as I'm glad that someone has a stake in Salisbury before it all mushrooms, the references all pass me by I'm afraid. Peace!

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Ah. Heard of that, forgot the where. Sorry!!

Christopher

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 05 March 2018, 11:57
QuoteRespighi was taught by Rimsky-Korsakov

NO, he wasn't. (See above).

Do Rudolf Tobias and Artur Kapp (both from Estonia) count as Russian?

Haha, no!  And please don't (for your own sake) ask that of an Estonian should you ever be there/meet one/  Sure Estonia was part of the Russian Empire but so was most of Poland and all of Finland...but I don't think anyone concerned for his own welfare would ask if Chopin/Moniuszko/Sibelius might be counted as Russian.... ;D

sdtom

sdtom

How many like Liadov (Enchanted Lake for one)?

Christopher

Yes, love Enchanted Lake and Baba Yaga.  His other works don't (yet) stand out for me.

adriano

I love all 5 of Lyadov's  symphonic pieces - and his 8 Russian Folk Songs.
The 1970 Svetlanov Melodiya recordings are great. Later in 1992, Veronika Dudarova also made an excellent CD with Lyadov's music (on the Olympia label), including some unknown pieces like "Dance of the Amazons", "First Scherzo for Orchestra", "Polonaise" and "Doleful Song".
"The Enchanted Lake", "From the Apokalypse" are masterworks!

dhibbard

yes,  the  "The Enchanted Lake"  is one of my favorites.   I found it interesting to research Lyadov and learn about this interactions with Rimsky-Korsakov. 

eschiss1

I'm more a fan of 2 of Lyadov's pupils, one of whom is closer to this forum's orbit than the orbit (and even then not all the time).

MartinH

Wonderful minor composer. I used the op. 49 Polonaise in a concert last year and it was quite well received by orchestra and audience alike. Looking into 8 Russian Folk songs this year. Wish he had written more, but he was notoriously lazy.

sdtom

Alas I have another recording but love his material. Quite unsung too.

sdtom

Quoteyes,  the  "The Enchanted Lake"  is one of my favorites.   I found it interesting to research Lyadov and learn about this interactions with Rimsky-Korsakov.

I too did this research. Rimsky taught and influenced many. :)