Léon Kreutzer 1817-1868

Started by matesic, Tuesday 06 March 2018, 12:19

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Is the musescore copy a retypeset of the version that was uploaded to imslp from BNF or etc. ...?

4candles

From a cursory glance, it appears to be laid out the same way as in the BNF scan uploaded to IMSLP, yes.

4candles

Following on from earlier conversation, members may be interested to note that our Japanese friends have posted a midi rendition of Léon Kreutzer's Symphony in F minor on Musescore.

Not as strong as the Piano Concerto, it nevertheless displays originality and a sense of inquiry (not least in the employment of saxhorns and saxophones – do any other symphonies of the time include parts for these instruments?). Full orchestral compliment noted here.

In the traditional four movements as expected, in my opinion each progressive movement improves on its predecessor. And, as with the Concerto, there are some lovely moments throughout (one striking one for me is from around the 10-minute mark in the first movement). Kreutzer was occasionally accused of following too much the Beethoven model, but does Kreutzer's music sound like anyone else? I don't think so!

To anyone willing to give it a go, I would urge repeated listenings, as it does not appeal so much on a single hearing, especially in this restrictive midi audio format. The second movement in particular seems initially to meander quite a bit.

Movements

I. Allegro moderato
II. Fanfare. Moderato — Adagio
III. Intermezzo. Scherzando
IV. Finale. Lento — Allegretto

Enjoy!

4c

Mark Thomas

The link doesn't work for me, I'm afraid, but this does: https://musescore.com/user/32178370/scores/6104626 for the 1st movement. Just search in musescore.com for the others...

4candles

Thanks Mark. I keep trying to edit the original link, to no avail. This is the one I was referring to: https://musescore.com/user/32178370/sheetmusic

But your alternative will do nicely also!
4c

4candles

I'm going out on a limb here in suggesting that members may be interested in this, but...

Thanks to the efforts of our Japanese friends, we now have midi realisations of Léon Kreutzer's String Quartet No.2 and his String Quartet in G minor. The former is altogether more coherent as a work, has some memorable themes, and hangs together well. The latter is a sprawling effort, unfortunately hampered by a LONG first movement and (I feel) the unnecessary inclusion of a movement from the composer's Symphony in F minor. Nevertheless, people may reserve their own judgements.

(Scores are presented as 'most recently added', so working from right to left gives the correct line-up of movements.)

I just need to convince someone to look at the four remaining quartets, from Op.15, which should include some of his best music.

4c

4candles

Dear all

I've been listening again to the midi of Léon Kreutzer's Les Filles d'Azur, a work which dates from (I think) the later 1850s.

Variously described in the BnF catalogue as an opéra-féerie / opéra de concert / ballet, scène duetto et choeur, I am struck by the immediate appeal of some of this music, which almost dances off the page. I'm most impressed by the composer's handling of the orchestra in the overall work, and perhaps this is the strong point of the first couple of scenes/sections, but the music in the ballets is quite delightful and I think would make a good impression in the modern concert hall.

Please do give at least the ballets a listen and try and see through the limitations of the midi format.

Best to all.
4c