Schmitt Antoine et Cleopatre and Symphony No. 2

Started by sdtom, Sunday 11 March 2018, 15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

For those of you who might be interested there is a new recording on Chandos CHSA 5200 which has the good sound of their super audio. Maybe I just like the material.

MartinH

Any comparison to the older Marco Polo release of the symphony? Leif Segerstam is no slouch as a conductor.

sdtom

I find the dolby 5 superior on my system and a better interpretation than the Buffalo. Haven't heard the Segerstam. Oramo is good.

minacciosa

This new recording completely outclasses Segerstam. The orchestra is much better; execution is fantastic and the conductor clearly understands Schmitt's complex idiom.

MartinH

That's enough for me. I've enjoyed everything I know of him so far. And yes, he's outside the era allowed here. Wonderful composer, poor political choices...

sdtom

Do you  have a dolby system to take advantage of the recording Martin?

MartinH

Yes, I use a surround sound, discrete 7.2 system that handles SACD multi-channel spectacularly well. A lot of the Chandos SACD disks sound great, too! They're about the only company still making them, I suppose.

sdtom

Chandos puts out good recordings so we'll enjoy them while we can. Let us know what you think of the recording too.