Alexander Goedicke's Third Symphony in C minor

Started by Ilja, Friday 01 February 2019, 09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

Thanks, Adriano. I also have a recording of this symphony – even in wav format – which I got from another collector many years ago. I haven't checked whether it might be identical with any of the recordings discussed here. Just one small annotation: the final chord is in C Major, in fact.

adriano

Thanks, Holger :-)

My working format on this file is also .wav. I transferred the received MP3 to .wav - and then back again to MP3 for UC users after my editing. My audio archive is all .wav of FLAC.

eschiss1

Would be nice to have all 3 of his symphonies (the earlier F minor and A major published in the first two decades of the 20th century, and this one published in 1925) together with more of his orchestral works recorded, I hope Toccata Classics might take an interest...

adriano

Toccata Clsssics (an excellent label) also need full sponsorship for a recording. You have to pay for everything. At present, they are issuing music by some Swiss composers like Sutermeister and Jaques-Dalcroze.
Martin Anderson, Toccata's producer, seems having changed his mind about Swiss composers, since at the time Fritz Brun's 9th Symphony was released, he wrote a review in "Fanfare" with following generalizing - and xenophobic - sentence:

A conductor friend of mine, looking through the scores of several Brun symphonies, reported that they were "typically Swiss – all sex and no orgasm," and I have yet to find the Brun work to prove him wrong.

In the case his "conductor friend" really had consulted Brun's manuscript scores (and not only his three Symphonies, which were printed) - he did not do a serious job!

Alan Howe

That is a ridiculous statement, I agree. Whatever one might think of Brun's music, it's beyond stupid to label a whole nation's music in that manner.

adriano

In the "American Music Guide", David Hurwitz once wrote that Brun's music is "for penitential souls only" and that my project was "a lost cause" :-)

But back to Goedicke's Third. What a wonderful, tense and passionate work!
In a way, it is still in the harmonic world of Rachmaninov and Myaksovsky. I already wrote in here about Goedicke's connection with Myaskovsky.

I hope they will photocopy the score in Moscow for me...

Gareth Vaughan

Some critics, as we know, are beyond stupid in their arrogant pronouncements.