Sad news about fellow-member John H. White

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 31 December 2021, 17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I am sorry to announce the passing of our dear friend, John H. White, a long-standing member of this forum. More news when I hear back from his son.

Mark Thomas

That's a sad way to end the year. John was full of years, but his enthusiasm for the unsung was undimmed, When I last spoke to him, around a year ago, he spent some time singing the praises of Franz Lachner of whom he was an ardent advocate in many posts here, having made a pioneering MIDI transcription of one of the unrecorded symphonies. John was one of us, a true friend of UC. I shall miss him.

semloh

Oh, that is sad news. Always a constructive contributor to UC, he will indeed be missed.

Ilja

It's very sad to learn of John's passing; he was always an interesting and committed voice on this forum.

Alan Howe

To John I owe my own interest in Lachner and Spohr. He must have loved the fact that recordings gave him access to the music he otherwise only knew in his mind's ear.

scarpia

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

very sad news:  being a Lachner "fan", I appreciated his contributions and knowledge in a special way.
RIP

gprengel

I am also very sorry ... Without him I never would have been able to record Lachner's wonderful 6th symphony but I could build on his old midifiles. I once called him by telefone wanting to express my appreciation for what he had done, but at that time it was already quite difficult to talk with him. I am not sure whether he could fully understand  what I was saying or whether he even has listened to my recording...

Mark Thomas

Gerd, John told me a couple of times, without prompting, that he had heard your recording and what pleasure it had given him finally to hear Lachner's 6th "properly", so you can be sure that he did.

Alan Howe

gprengel