Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952), a revival

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 13 June 2009, 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Perhaps I misconstrued what was said in the article, or the writer was in error.  Either way, too bad he didn't compose a left-hand concerto for Wittgenstein.  I'm sure it would have been GLORIOUS!

Peter1953

Back to both PC's 2 and 3. The 2nd is my favourite too, and it is unbelievable that the brilliant piano part is for the left hand only. It doesn't sound that way. However, the 3rd isn't that bad either, and I think the ominous opening is quite stirring. In fact the whole concert is enough sparkling to me.

Years ago I bought the Hyperion disc with the PC's of Arensky and Bortkiewicz. I bought the CD for the Arensky, but I never heard anything from Bortkiewicz. I wasn't so impressed by Arensky after all, and strangely enough I never touched that CD again until recently. Why did I wait for so long to listen to that 1st PC of Bortkiewicz again? It's surely a nice piece of music to listen to! For me definitely more interesting than the Arensky. What is your opinion?

JimL

All 3 piano concertos are quite interesting, but the more closely I listen to them, the more I realize that Bortkiewicz' strength was melody, not development.  In all 3 concertos there is virtually no thematic development.  In the first concerto's first movement, for example, where there would normally be a development section there seems to be more of a "central episode", which contains little in the way of typical developmental techniques (e.g. fragmentation, harmonic sequencing, contrapuntal juxtaposition, etc.)  In the 2nd concerto, it seems like the first "movement" is a ternary form in which the central section is a "slow movement" and the return of the "A" section is extremely truncated.  What little development there is acts as more as a lead-in to the slow movement.  BTW, is that entire "B" section's tempo still "Allegretto"?  I find that difficult to believe.  Not that any of this works against these concertos; in fact I find them formally quite adroit, especially in the ways in which Borty eschews development while still filling out extensive formats.  At least he didn't fall back on the old "exposition segueing into the slow movement followed by the finale" formal cliche, as so many other composers did.  I'm wondering, though, for those of you familiar with his symphonies, if he has the requisite developmental skills, or if that is why you all seem to find the symphonies somewhat weaker than the piano concertos?

As for the Arensky, I'm quite fond of it.  I particularly like the 5/4 finale.  As in a lot of Russian concertos, the secondary material in the outer movements is more interesting than the primary material, but that doesn't weigh against it.  I suggest repeated hearings.

monafam

This essentially goes to all of you, but is a response to JimL's last post...

One of my goals is to be able to interpret/analyze music the way you did above.  I can follow the melody part, but as soon as the discussion goes to thematic development I am pretty much gone from any meaningful input.   I have always wanted to know the "inner workings" of things and music is certainly no exception. 

Someday.....

FBerwald

I agree with JimL about the lack of thematic development in Bortkiewicz writing. Its this precisely that makes his Symphonies less interesting than the concertos. That his strength is Melody can hardly be debated. His symphonies are full of them (the slow movement of the second is beautiful and the slow movement of the first sounds like pages from the 1st piano concerto!).

Peter1953

I have a disc with the violin concerto op. 22 (1923) coupled with the cello concerto op. 20 (1922). They are live registrations of a concert in Kiev in 2002 (probably to commemorate the fiftieth death anniversary of Bortkiewicz), and that's the only thing I know. No idea which orchestra is performing, and who both soloists are. Both the violist and the cellist are playing with full passion. However, the recording is flat and has a mechanical sound, without any tone colour, in short: very bad. But for the time being, never mind, because it gives a pretty good idea of these concertos, and believe me: both are truly masterpieces! Full of catchy melodies. And the thematic development? Definitely not poor to me. Also with these concertos Bortkiewicz has proven to be a great composer.

I have a slight preference for the violin concerto. The first movement is very impressive, and opens promptly with the first theme, after two minutes followed by a beautiful second theme, a tune which keeps going around in my head. But the emotional highlight is the slow movement. How serene. The third movement is quite the opposite: an enthusiastic, positive main theme, nicely developed and finishing in a grandiose coda.

The cello concerto has two movements. The opening is rather woeful. I wonder what Bortkiewicz was thinking of while writing this first theme. Strangely enough I must think of Elgar's cello concerto (1919). Did Bortkiewicz study that marvellous concerto? The second movement has quite a few surprising themes, including a Spanish dance.

We can only hope that these brilliant, unjustly forgotten concertos will once again be heard in the concert halls, and moreover, that we music lovers don't have to wait too long before the release of these first-rate concertos. It's something to look out for.

Amphissa

I've listened several times to the symphonies and to piano concertos 1, 2 and 3. I like the 2nd concerto. The rest .... well, they aren't bad, but just not something I'll return to much. For all their color and vibrance, the symphonies are (to me) lacking in grace. Something about them made me nervous. I kept turning down the volume.

But the 2nd piano concerto is a keeper. I would be curious to hear the violin and cello concertos.

DennisS

As a result of reading all the postings on Bortkiewicz, I consequently ordered the 2 symphonies and PC 1.  I was immediately taken with his music, which covers a wide range of emotions, and which goes without saying, I find especially appealing. Of the symphonies, I prefer no 1 marginally. The PC struck me as especially attractive and I particularly liked a number of passages of great beauty and delicacy in the romantic vein. I am so taken with this composer, I have since ordered PC 2 + 3 and eagerly await their arrival. Thank you everyone for introducing me to a wonderful composer.

Alan Howe

Good to hear that the Forum is being of benefit, Dennis. I have been introduced to an enormous amount of music through the Forum - unfortunately for my credit card!

monafam

I'm with you Alan!  It's certainly broadened my horizons a great deal.  Plus, I know I can go to this forum for anyone I'm just not familar with and get some fantastic responses.   It's getting harder to justify to my wife all the "deals" I'm coming across that I just need to have.   ;D

Peter1953

I'm very pleased, Dennis, that you discovered Bortkiewicz. I wouldn't be surprised if you let us know that you're overwhelmed by his PC 2. You will love it. Mind you, I bought the Hyperion disc years ago only for the Arensky. But because I don't like the Arensky so much I haven't listen to that CD for years, not being aware of the beautiful Bortkiewicz 1...

His piano music is lovely too. I have the 3 double CDs by Klaas Trapman, 6 hours of beautiful piano music. Both piano sonatas, especially #1, are gems. I think his piano music is reminiscent of Rachmaninov, but less complex, so to speak.

We have to be patient for the release of the magnificent VC and the CC. I have a poor quality recording, but I can assure you that these concertos are amongst the most beautiful works Bortkiewicz has composed. Especially the VC is a masterpiece.

DennisS

Hello Monafam. I read your last posting and smiled. I know that having joined this forum, I am going to discover many "unsung" composers and will, as a result, want to buy even more cds. My wife has stopped making any comment on my purchases! I intend shortly to start a new thread on Atterberg and it will be most interesting to read other members views on his work.

DennisS

Hello Jim
Thanks for your comments. I know how much you like the PC 2. If indeed, it is even better than no 1, I am sure that I will really love it too! When I receive my copy from Holland, I will listen to it and then give you my impressions on the work. I hope to receive my copy by the end of the week. I note your comments on his piano music, especially with reference to Rachmaninov ( a composer I am very fond of) and am going to try and stream the audio of as many pieces as I can find. I have listened to the audio extracts of the VC just once and will hear it again. I don't recall where I read it but a review of the soloist was very positive but not so flattering for the orchestra (amateurish?). Does this ring a bell with you? Like yourself, I have a number of works by Arensky but was not greatly moved by them. Perhaps I need to listen again more carefully???

Peter1953

We Russian emigrants live more off our memories than in the present, Bortkiewicz once said. Well, you can hear that nostalgic mood in his lovely, intimate violin sonata in G minor. An example of music without words. I've just listened to this fine piece of chamber music again, it's almost like a meditation.

DennisS

Hello Peter and all the members who have spoken so highly of Bortkiewicz. I finally received my copy of PC 2 + 3 yesterday. The wait was more than worthwhile. Thank you everyone for introducing me to a wonderful composer. I've only listened so far to PC 2 once and PC 3 twice and need to listen to them again . So far though, I confess I still marginally prefer PC1, for its many tender, lyrical passages in the romantic vein that I like so much. I have detected similar passages of great beauty in PC3, which instantly appeal to me. I think I have to re-listen to PC 2 several times though and perhaps then I will come to love it even more. What I have noticed in PC2 is that at times it doesn't feel as much like as a concerto, more like chamber music, with the number of passages where it's just the piano and the flute or cello or viola. It's sure to grow on me!I will certainly be keeping a look out for the VC and CC!