"The British Symphonic Collection": an ultra-bargain box

Started by alberto, Friday 03 June 2011, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

Just taken delivery of this box set - I actually think it's brilliant and there's lots there that I personally enjoy. Thoroughly recommended...... :)

Hovite

Quote from: britishcomposer on Wednesday 29 June 2011, 21:34
Dutton recorded a "realisation" of the Elgar PC by Robert Walker. I won't miss the 1st subject (1st movement) orchestrated by Elgar himself for its dark, haunting mystery but the rest is.... well, forget it. I suppose there is just not enough material to reconstruct a convincing Elgar. I guess even Anthony Payne would fail.

I have to agree that Walker's version is a failure. Perhaps someone else will take a look at the fragments one day. I seem to remember watching a television program about this a few years back, and there is apparently no shortage of genuine bits, but Elgar hadn't strung them together, possibly not even in his own mind.

Payne's version of Elgar's 3rd Symphony is utterly brilliant.

eschiss1

I seem to recall liking one of the others of Walker's reconstructions- King Arthur possibly?... though that had so much music in common with the 3rd symphony that I was very confused listening to it. I'm probably confused now. About Payne's reconstruction I agree. Of the three recordings I know of, I think I prefer Colin Davis' LSO one which I've heard on Austrian radio from time to time - he and the orchestra get the dynamics (in the broad, not just the ff-pp sense) of the finale especially (its opening is a good example) - the orchestration, the dynamics (now in the narrow sense :) ), the quirks of harmony and stress-destress - some Elgar, some Payne, there - to really sound much more than it seems happens on the Naxos recording (which I have and am generally much pleased with, mind...)

Richard Moss

Just received my copy - I'd forgotten the earlier postings to this thread, so although the Amazon price has gone up a bit (to nearly £14 plus postage), this is still an exceptional price for 10 CDs (I haven't listened yet but if only two are well-liked, it is enough to justify the outlay).

The reason for the post is that the box-set does NOT come with the usual notes (I guess MEMBRAN who marketed this set needed to save some money to do the pressings in the first place??).  So, does anyone in UC know from where (if at all!) the original PDFs of the individual CD notes can be downloaded?

Any help much appreciated (tried but failed to find a direct contact  for ClassicO)

Best wishes

Richard