Unsung Piano Sonatas 1860-1910

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 06 September 2010, 20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

Heller's Sonata 3 in C major falls within the first decade of Alan's date span and once achieved a certain popularity in Britain, in part because it is performable by amateurs, in part because it charms. Sonata 4 is much more difficult (1st movement, at least); anyone who enjoys it, though, will take pleasure in Heller's much earlier, red-blooded Capriccio symphonique, after which Sonata 4 sounds a bit like a short-winded pastiche. For my money the sonata by Heller that takes the prize is number 2, but it is too early to qualify.

Most references to Dale's sonata have him finishing it around his 20th year rather than his 10th.

Mark Thomas

QuoteMost references to Dale's sonata have him finishing it around his 20th year rather than his 10th.
True. ;) It dates from 1905. My 1894 would have made him an incredibly precocious nine year old.

chill319

Wasn't Korngold around 10 at the time his densely late romantic first sonata was published?

eschiss1

Quote from: chill319 on Thursday 09 September 2010, 02:06
Wasn't Korngold around 10 at the time his densely late romantic first sonata was published?
Well, when he wrote it, he was around 9 or 10, anyway. I don't think it was published until 1909, but he might still have been 11 at the time...

thundercloud

Let's se. As a pianist it's a nice challenge to look for unperformed works, so here are some exampels( i have played them all)
Szymanowskys 1:st sonata, with Martin Roscoe. It's freakin amazing!!
Agree about Balakirew, don't forget Lyapounov and Blumenfelds sonatas. And the 2 by Bortkiewicz

Both the D'Indy and Dukas are amazing, and for ******* sake, don't forget Pierce lanes amazing recording on hyperion of D'Alberts sonata.
Glazunovs 1.st sonata is a marvellous piece, Tatjana Fratova plays it best.
The Paderewski is pretty good.

MacDowells 4 sonatas are wonderful,I just love them.

Someone mentioned Gades sonata, i love that one.

We also have Norwegian Christian Sindings sonata ( most famous for his piece fruhlingsrauchen). and the Grieg of course.

Swedish Wilhelm Stenhammars 4:th in G-minor, with Niklas sivelov on NAXOS, fabolous!

Rachmaninovs 1.st, i't just amazing.

And then, the crown juwel.

Julius Reubkes stunning sonata, dedicated to his teacher Liszt. rarely performed, among the most difficult pieces ever written.

I think you'll have quite much to listen to now *lol*

Alan Howe

If you like the Reubke, you should like the Draeseke Sonata Op.6...

Peter1953

Do I exaggerate if I think that Rheinberger's Sonata in E flat Major, op. 135 (1883) belongs to the most captivating, fascinating and beautiful Piano Sonatas of the 2nd half of the 19th century?

This evening I listened very concentrated, with my eyes closed, no disturbances around me, to this grandiose work again (Antonio Pompa-Baldi on Centaur) and I must say it's nothing less than a real masterpiece.

chill319

I agree, Peter. One of the most fulfilling discoveries I've had as a pianist with unsung composers is the first time I played Rheinberger op 135. Heaven. Almost as delicious as discovering the Schubert G major sonata (Richter's favorite).

Alan Howe

The Pompa-Baldi CD of Rheinberger on Centaur is an absolute must-buy. Superb music, superbly played.

JSK

I know it's not as unsung as many of the works in this thread, but I believe the Balakirev B-flat minor sonata deserves more attention. I'm especially fond of the first movement, with its distinctly un-German fugal passages.

Aramiarz

The first mexican piano sonate, was wrote around 1910, my friend the pianist Rodolfo Ritter said me that the piece is phantastic. We hope soon is available.

Alan Howe

JimL

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Henri Vieuxtemps composed a Piano Sonata in E Major for his wife.  Yet I can see no reference to it in a listing of his works.  Did my memory deceive me, or is this a truly unsung work?

Aramiarz

Dear Alan

It's José Pomar sonate!!

Aramiarz

Dear Jim
Interesting the Vieuxtemps piece!