News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fibich Orchestral music

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 09 April 2018, 22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I have been playing through the four volumes of Fibich orchestral music so far released by Naxos (yes, I know there have been mentions of these elsewhere at UC!) - and what I have noticed in general is how much more adventurous the composer is in his non-symphonic works. I suppose this isn't altogether a surprise, but it does make for something of a schizophrenic listen (in a good way). Has anyone else had the same reaction?

adriano

I have a two-CD set (Supraphon, historical recordings of 1950-61) with Fibich's 3 Symphonies and two symphonic poems, none of the Naxos volumes conducted by Stilec. Must have to re-listen... Mine are conducted by Karel Sejna, whom I admire very much; he was a protégé of Vaclav Talich and his recordings with music by Smetana were particularly praised. Must re-listen... Suppose the alternative version on Orfeo of Symphony No. 2 conducted by Gerd Albrecht could be interesting too... Incidentally, I am very fond of the Overture to "Sarka", as simple as this piece may be, but it has a haunting theme :-) The complete recording conducted by Jan Stych is superb! I also have "The Bride of Messina"...

Alan Howe

I have the Orfeo CD of Symphony No.3 under Albrecht on order (it's currently cheap at jpc.de); I don't think Albrecht recorded No.2 - am I wrong?

adriano

You are right, Alan, sometimes my memory goes wrong :-)
Symphonies 2 and 3 were also recorded by Waldhans and Belohlavek. How is the Chandos recording of the three Symphonies under Järvi?

Alan Howe

I'd say Järvi is very good, but perhaps a little 'efficient'. I'm seeking a bit more Czech character...

Kevin

I've also just listened to the four volumes, which seem more and more likely all were are going to get, which is a pity. The performances are pretty good for the most part, if a little scrappy in the faster sections, Fibich was a master orchestrator, so the Czech National Symphony Orchestra struggle to do justice to his scoring at times. But it's nice to have some obscure/rare pieces like Othello and Zaboj, Slavoj a Ludek in clear and stereo sound, all decently played. With the exception of the 3rd Symphony(which I think is his masterpiece) you get all the major works in these four volumes. If anyone is interested Gerd Albrecht does a fine account of the 3rd Symphony on Orfeo along with some of the finer tones poems: Toman and the wood nymph and The Tempest. Yes, indeed Jarvi is quite good in the symphonies which don't really require a Czech touch because the composer wasn't really a nationalistic like his two compatriots, he only flirts with it here and there. That set is very recommended.

Paul Barasi

There's a huge conversation still to take place on this site about Fibich's music. His tunes and orchestration are superb, his output vast across the musical genres and his life story is fascinating.

Kevin

Couldn't agree more Paul. Here's a nice little fact :Fibich was considered the 'Son' in a Holy Trinity of Czech music in which Smetana was the 'Father' and Dvorák the 'Holy Spirit'

semloh

There's a huge conversation still to take place on this site about Fibich's music.

I do agree, although he hasn't been entirely ignored, with over 40 items popping up in a general search.

Alan Howe

Personally, I'm wondering what a 'huge' conversation would be about. I can imagine a moderate-sized conversation, though - so what have I missed?

eschiss1

Dvorak was 9 when Fibich was born, so erm, maybe [spiritual] younger brother? Cousin?... (Smetana wasn't that old when Dvorak was born, either...)
Now Suk as son in a triad, that makes some sense...

(Tangentially, my real problem with these "Trinities" is you begin to imagine Czech classical music _really_  rather than figuratively started with Smetana, and forget to look into his predecessors and contemporaries.)

As to Fibich, not trying to deny there's a lot of his music I want to hear more of (even moreso the 2 string quartets and other chamber works, the dramatic and other vocal works, etc. some of which I barely know at all).

eschiss1

(Unfortunately even though his 3 symphonies were all published by 1906 by Urbánek (1883, 1893, 1906) afaik, IMSLP doesn't have 'em yet :) ) (The 1906 publication listed by Worldcat is a reduction; don't know when the 3rd symphony was first published in full score. MPH Höflich has them all in full score, I think, and their prefaces -may- have that publication information- or may not, I don't know. (I've acquired a mildly dorky interest in publication-history-ish things, pay no mind :D ) Listening to the 2nd quartet just now, it's quite nice, a fact that doesn't surprise.))

semloh

Personally, I'm wondering what a 'huge' conversation would be about. I can imagine a moderate-sized conversation, though - so what have I missed?

Er, well, good question! Over to you Paul and Kevin...  ;D

Kevin

I could provide information from Grove Online written by the late great John Tyrell(expert on czech matters) of course I would need permission from these boards to post it.

Alan Howe

Wouldn't be OK if you copied and posted the relevant passages and included an attribution and link to the original material?