Hugo Reinhold (1854-1935) Violin Sonata (1881) etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 16 July 2018, 23:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Neat! I first heard of him when I acquired a copy of his relatively well-known impromptu Op.28 no.3 and had a listen to it (and liked it...)

Sharkkb8

Is it possible that, for the first time in recorded history, this album will be available in the Colonies before it's out in Europe?!  (Aug 17)   :D  ::)

https://www.amazon.com/Reinhold-Selected-Works-Aleksandra-Milcarz/dp/B07FCVHXB1/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1532816262&sr=1-1&keywords=Hugo+Reinhold

Alan Howe

Sharkkb8

Yes, but even though the UK version mentions Aug 17, it also says (contrary to USA version)  "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock", at least that what it says on my Yankee screen.

I sense a horserace.  (guessing a losing one for my side of the pond)  8)

matesic

I see the disc doesn't include his Op.31 Serenade (No.2) in four short movements and I'm tempted to give it a go. He seems to have been essentially a miniaturist although his list of works does include a symphony as well as a string quartet.

Alan Howe

QuoteYes, but even though the UK version mentions Aug 17, it also says (contrary to USA version) "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock"

That's Amazon-speak for 'not yet in stock, but available from August 17th'.

Alan Howe

Reinhold's piano music is absolutely superb - showy on occasions, yes, but utterly memorable and choc full of gorgeous melody. Try these: https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8036182--reinhold-piano-works

Mark Thomas

Yes, despite Somero's typically heavy-handed unsubtle playing, there is some lovely stuff amongst these piano pieces. Thanks for the link, Alan.

Gareth Vaughan

I'm afraid I really cannot bear Somero's awful playing. He ruins everything for me.

Alan Howe

Not for me, though I understand the objections.

Alan Howe

The Dux CD contains some really love music. The Violin Sonata plumbs no great depths, but offers a veritable cornucopia of melody. Really gorgeous stuff, this. No, Reinhold's not a major talent, but I've yet to hear anything of his that doesn't dance or sing. A wonderful tonic.