Franz Lachner Symphony No.3

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2018, 21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperdanny

very interesting ....but, aside from Alan's strictly musical observations (that I agree with), there's one thing that perplexes me.
Don't you think that, if someone had written a 34-minute movement,  we would have historical mention of it?
At that early time i am sure it would have been sort of a shock.
Not even Mahler or Bruckner, much later, got so far.
I don't know , it seems like the kind of thing that makes waves among commentators, and Lachner was a prominent personality...for much less the 5th got eternally branded as overlong.
I'm not disputing anything, I just find it fascinatingly strange...

Alan Howe

...unless, as has been suggested, it was never performed without cuts/repeats. And then it was probably forgotten...

John H White

I think you already have a copy of my "authentic" rendition of this symphony Alan but, if you haven't, I'll pop one in the post for you.
  By the way, with your knowledge of the German language, it might be a good thing to get in touch with Dr Harald Johannes Mann who appears to be the world authority on Franz Lachner and his siblings. It might be possible to contact him via the record producer Rudolf R Bayer at:
   Pforzheimer Strasse 30
   74321 Bietigheim-Bissingen
  Germany.
Tel, 07142 43763
       Cheers,
             John

Alan Howe

Do you have the cpo recording, John? You're our resident Lachner expert! It can be ordered from MDT:
https://www.mdt.co.uk/lachner-franz-symphony-no3-evergreen-so-gernot-schmalfuss-cpo.html

Alan Howe

In any case, the idea of a half-hour slow movement is pretty horrifying in a work that is already too long for its material. If cuts have been made, it's just as well.

John H White

I've ordered the CPO recording from Amazon Alan, so I can expect to receive it early next month. I shall then be able to study it against my score and find out where the cuts have been made.
       Cheers,
            John.

Alan Howe

That's great, John. Looking forward to your analysis.

hyperdanny

Even from the perspective of what could be called "a Lachner fan" (I really like this music, notwithstanding its flaws&longueurs),,,i have to say that I concur with Alan: the idea of sitting through 34 minutes of adagio is "horrifying" indeed..and plus.... I find the third just wonderful as it is..I would even have cut something more, here and there!
Aside from all this, I too am looking forward to hearing mr.White's authoritative impressions and opinions.

Mark Thomas

I'm also waiting avidly for your analysis, John. It should make a fascinating read.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

As always Hurwitz lays it on a bit thick, but basically I agree with him.

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

One wonders what could be his reaction to Mr.White's uncut version..suicide, probably.....anyway: a bit thick yes, but I basically agree too, at least my rational mind does.
My "artistic" side instead has a (perverse?) fascination with this music..I don't know how many times I have listened to the second movement, I find it spellbinding.
I agree with Hurwitz, though, that the overture would be better consigned to oblivion.

eschiss1

cpo recording now available on Naxos Music Library.

Hector

So did we get anywhere with the question over the third movement? Have the Evergreens slashed and burned? I did E mail them to inquire but only got advertising back from them. I don't really want to go to the lengths of learning Taiwanese in order to get an answer.

Ps Is Mr Hurwitz ever enthusiastic about music?