Sgambati Symphonies 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2018, 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

I don't know these symphonies yet but am surprised to read that Rob Barnett believes that Sgambati's symphonies "considerably outstripped" Liszt's symphonies? Liszt wasn't primarily a symphonist but his "Faust" Symphony is amongst the finest and certainly most original 19th century symphonies. Do Sgambati's symphonies really outstrip it?

Mark Thomas

How can one make a valid comparison? Rob must have been carried away by his enthusiasm. Sgambati's symphonies are fine works, but they're absolute music, whereas the Faust Symphony is programme music, its three movements a linked series of symphonic portraits. It's a masterful composition and I'm sure that Sgambati himself would never have felt that he'd outstripped it.

Alan Howe

No, the comparison's a poor one. What is important to recognise, though, is that Sgambati's sound-world is recognisably in the progressive camp - down to the Siegfried-style horn whoops in the finale of No.2!

Kevin

I was blown away by these performances and the works themselves. Very individual, sounding like no one else. Superb Tchaikovsky-like orchestration too. Check out his requiem which is also very appealing.

adriano

Not to speak about his Piano Concerto (coupled with two Overtures on the Tactus label) and his Piano Quintets and String Quartets (On Brilliant Classics)!

Kevin

adriano

Jorge Bolet, who plays the Sgambati Concerto on that old Genesis LP (reprocessed later on CD) is much better - and virtuoso-like - than Francesco Caramiello on Tactus. Alas, in both recordings the Nuremberg Orchestra is accompanying on a not too high satisfactory level... I've just listened to them both. The orchestral instruments' parts are, at times, rather demanding.

Kevin

I appreciate you taking the time to sample them, I think I'll just stick to his Piano Quintets and quartets for now.