News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hamerik

Started by John H White, Monday 12 October 2009, 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

Does anyone know anything about the music of Asger Hamerik? I see that Da Capo have just released a boxed set of his symphonies, rating them as late romantic in style. Maybe this query should go on the recordings forum.

edurban

Wonderful composer, one of the few Berlioz pupils!  The set is marvelously played and recorded, hopefully it includes the Requiem which was the original coupling of the 7th symphony.  Unquestionably the greatest symphonic legacy to come out of Baltimore, Maryland...(although that might be like saying Rheinberger is the greatest composer ever born in Lichtenstein ;) )

Order, post haste!

David

Pengelli

Very interesting. I saw the boxed set,but haven't been able to find much info about Hamerik on the net.

Syrelius

Imagine a combination of Niels W Gade (especially in the earlier symphonies) and Hector Berlioz and you have a sense of the symphonic style of Asger Hamerik. His music is well orchestrated and tuneful. He can sometimes be a bit bombastic, though in a rather charming way  :).

The recordings on Dacapo are generally of high quality. Recommended.

monafam

I can't speak with any authority since I haven't purchased anything by Hamerik yet; however, he was mentioned in my thread about unsung religous works and his is safely tucked away in my save-for-later grouping!  Next month....

Alan Howe

The symphonies are all powerful pieces - but lacking in ultimate memorability, I feel. Still, he is an interesting composer - and some of the strong brass writing seems reminiscent of Berlioz. Can't hear any Gade in him, though.

Mark Thomas

Hamerik's music, and in particular the symphonies, never disappoints when you hear it. It holds your attention. There's a lot of momentum in the faster movements, plenty of lyricism in the slow ones and his orchestration is excellent. Things are well put together and he knows when to stop. In short, he's a fine craftsman of the second half of the 19th century; certainly a generation later than Gade in his musical outlook.

The trouble is that his melodies, as Alan says, just don't stick in the mind once a piece has finished. That said, I'm always glad when a piece of his pops up...

Syrelius

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 13 October 2009, 00:17
Can't hear any Gade in him, though.

I probably should have put some later romatic composer i the mixture too, not only Gade and Berlioz.  ;) However, listen, for instance, to the third symphony (especially the 3rd and 4th movements). More modern in style, yes, but still strongly influenced by Gade, IMO.

izdawiz

Hamerik is a Good composer his symphonies are respectable Symphony no. 6 could possibly be the more memorable. 5 is good also. hmm .. I can't remeber how the others  sound I have not listened to them in a while. Gotta dig them up and listen to them again. Thanks for the reminder. on a side note  I'd also recommend J.p Hartmann's symphony No.2  it's coupled with No.1 on  the Dacapo lable I believe.

Alan Howe

J P E Hartmann's Symphony No.2 is from a previous generation - that of Mendelssohn/Schumann/Berwald. In my view it is as good as anything by those composers, being both individual in style and thoroughly memorable. Indeed, it is one of the most unjustly neglected symphonies of the nineteenth century. I would place it above anything by Hamerik in terms of importance.

TerraEpon

Hartmann is definetly a worthy unsung. If you can ever track down his ballet The Valkyrie (on CPO but sadly well OOP) it's truly wonderful. Easily my favorite pre-Delibes ballet

Justin

I hope 11 and a half years allowed enough time to post this.  ;D

Hamerik's Symphony No. 6
Conductor: Sarah-Grace Williams
With The Metropolitan Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIaIne4bzw

Recorded live at Petersham Town Hall Sydney on
Saturday, February 20, 2021