Respighi - La campana sommersa

Started by M. Yaskovsky, Sunday 06 May 2018, 11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Yaskovsky

Probably out of reach for this forum, but anyway a very interesting release I hope. Hadrianus? https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/la-campana-sommersa/hnum/8202468

adriano

Thanks, M. Yaskovsky
I still hope there will be a "normal" CD, which enables me to concentrate on the music alone and, if necessary, create my own staging in my head :-).
Naxos, unfortunately do not generally have parallel CD issues :-(
This opera has no ballet and the action is very static, so we may not have to suffer from stamping noises à la Dynamic...
The stage photos look promising, so it was done in a quite tasteful and aesthetic way.
It was written in 1927, so there we are still in the UC's range...
The 2003 Accord (concert version, live) CD from Montpellier is quite recommendable, but one should not neglect the historical recording of 1956, with a superb Margherita Carosio (GOP label).
I had proposed to Marco Polo to record this piece in 1989! It's my favourite Respighi opera.
Incientally, in 1979 I had the occasion of being the first person to study the full orchestral manuscript score of Respighi's "Marie Victoire". It was conserved in a special case, toghether with other pieces the composer had withdrawn. This project was also rejected by Marco Polo... Later on, when it was first produced by the Rome Opera, the conductor praised himself of having been the "discoverer" of this piece - which I had handed over to the publiser upon permssion by Elsa Respighi, who wanted my opinion on this.
As you see, I still have some reasons of feeling frustrated...

M. Yaskovsky

You can - if you own one - connect your Bluray/DVD-player to your amplifier or turn the TV-screen off ;)

adriano

Of course :-)
And I have decided in any case to buy it, since the staging appears to be very beautiful. This production was even hired for performances in the USA.