News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Liszt Sardanapalo

Started by DK, Tuesday 15 May 2018, 07:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Fascinating, nevertheless - and likely, on the evidence of the videos - to be very well sung and played.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

...and one thing's for certain, this is no mere Donizetti/Bellini opera soundalike: in fact it's a hotchpotch of styles from bel canto (although there's little coloratura), to early Wagner (some of the heavy orchestration), to anticipations of later Italian opera - and I'm sure others will pick up on other influences or pre-echoes.

It is well done by the singers (apart from a less than stellar bass), orchestra and chorus. We must be grateful for the sterling work put into this reconstruction and for the advocacy of that fine conductor, Kirill Karabits.

And no, it's not an undiscovered masterpiece - far from it. Merely an indication of the direction Liszt might have taken had he so desired.

Alan Howe

The only (minor) let-down is the wobble-fest offered by the bass. On the other hand, soprano Joyce El-Khoury is luxury casting, with a voice of Leontyne Price-like amplitude, and the tenor, while not world-class, contributes some fine singing.

The main problem with the work, it seems to me, is its rather stop-start progress. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating score which I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know.