Haarklou: Creation & Man

Started by mikehopf, Tuesday 15 May 2018, 10:46

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

What is regarded as Haarklou's greatest work, the Oratorio " Creation and Man", was broadcast on NKR Klassik ( Norwegian Radio) over the weekend and is being repeated tonight. Happily this monumental work  is also available on demand at the radio station.

Haarklou's 4th Symphony can be downloaded from youtube. I believe that he also wrote both a violin and a piano concerto.

Alan Howe

Can anyone record this, please?

Mark Thomas

Recording now.... (thanks, Mike)

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The Haarklou starts at about 01:07...

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Haven't had time to listen to it properly yet, I 'm afraid.

jerfilm

I recorded it streaming and so had the privilege of hearing the whole thing.   My initial reaction is, it's very long and non stop singing.  And frankly not terribly memorable.   

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Your impression is pretty accurate of the whole IMHO. It a rather earnest, remorseless piece which seems much longer than its 87 minutes. I can't say that it made a friend in me at first hearing.

Ilja

One should perhaps remember that the authority declaring this Haarklou's "masterpiece" was penned in a pretty religious country (as Norway was at that time) in the early 20th century. Modern sensibilities place their emphasis ... differently.

Alan Howe

Well, I suppose Britain had its share of popular religious works in the 19thC - many of which we now find insufferably sentimental, whether or not we profess faith ourselves in the here and now. The problem with the Haarklou, though, is that it's, erm, just plain boring.