Shostakovich (and his ilk) - not romantic!

Started by Richard Moss, Monday 18 June 2018, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

After a gap of several years, I've just listened again to my 'Brilliant Classics' 3-Cd box-set of Shostakovich's 'complete' concertos (2 piano, 2 violin & 2 cello).  Apart from the well-known 2nd movement of the 2nd piano concerto, nothing else struck me as remotely romantic and the box-set has therefore gone into the charity bin and unfortunately reinforces my view that most (not all!!) of the time, 20th century compositions post 1918 are not worth buying (unless a known, 'romantic' composer, like Rachmaninov or Elgar) has produced a late work.  I realise there are many exceptions (Brun comes to mind - I think the CDs I've got of his early symphonic works are quite enjoyable 'romantic' music but samples I've heard from his latter works leave me cold; also Mathieu's piano concertos, for example, are still a delight! as is some film/TV/game music). 

Too many CDs (and possibly music critics?) attribute the word 'romantic' in their blurbs about some little known works, presumably 'bait to catch a fish' so unless I can hear a decent sample in advance, I'm afraid I'd rather spend my money on unknown (to me) 19th century works.  They too may prove to be a waste of money but the odds are somewhat better in my favour of finding something I'll enjoy listening to.  Limited funds have to go where they will produce the most listening pleasure (and if it's not a pleasure, why listen??) and the 'Victorian era' seems the best bet for me for 'romantic' music.

Some years ago, the moderators tried to give a workable definition of 'romantic' music when non-romantic music (for want of a better phrase) was split away.  I've noticed a growing trend to have some discussions about more recent music (and I don't have any issues with open, constructive discussions about any topic) but I do sometimes struggle to see how some topics relate to 'romantic' music.  However, at the same time I love the in-depth views and knowledge of UC members and even if some of the music isn't for me, I still love to read about these things.

Best wishes

Richard

TerraEpon

I don't understand the point of this post at all. It sounds like just a post to reject all non-romantic-style post Romantic Era (see what I did there) composers for no reason....don't like em fine but since this forum is for Romantic Era AND post Romantic Era but in the style music.....why not leave it at that?

And I don't think they necessarily use the word 'romantic' as bait, rather they are using it in a more generic sense more relating to the more plebeian definition of the word.

Richard Moss

Apologies to Terrapon for a post without obvious focus and to the moderators if the topic is too 'off piste' - I was just trying to compare (neither defend nor criticise) 'romantic' and post-romantic, triggered by what seems, to my untutored ears, a contradiction in Shostakovich.  Happy to take it on the chin if I've got it wrong!  I'll leave it at that.

Cheers

Richard

eschiss1

sorry, how is "not worth buying" not at least a subjective criticism? Wow!

Alan Howe

I don't think there's any mileage in this thread - sorry.