Courtlandt Palmer (1871-1951)

Started by Martin Eastick, Friday 08 June 2018, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I have just obtained the score of this American composer's E major violin sonata, which was published in Switzerland (Éditions d'Art et Musicales Pro Arte, Lausanne, undated - although probably published around the 1940's).

Upon further investigation, it transpires that Courtlandt Palmer studied with Sgambati in Italy, and also with Leschetizky and Paderewski. The music that I have before me is certainly late romantic in style, and, from a pianist's perspective, well-written and strong melodically. There are three movements.

There are a number of other works of his that were published, including a piano concerto and a piano quintet. There is a collection of his scores, both published and unpublished, held in a collection at the New York Public Library. They also hold an extensive collection of 78rpm acetates of Palmer playing both standard repertoire as well as some of his own works, including the premiere performance of his piano concerto with Sir Thomas Beecham conducting! Purely on the basis of Beecham's involvment alone, this would surely be of considerable interest, if only this could be accessed, or, even better, issued as a CD! Perhaps someone who has the time and the necessary contacts and influence may wish to investigate further - perhaps this may even be a future possibility for Hyperion?

Obviously, if anyone can add anything further..............

eschiss1

A string quartet in A minor published by Gebruder Hug of Zurich is @ IMSLP..

Gareth Vaughan

I may be in New York in December. If I am I will try to make time to visit NYPL and let them know in advance what I would like to examine. I may also fire off an email to ask what it would cost to obtain a copy of the 2-piano score (or full score) of Palmer's piano concerto. My recollection, however, is that their reprographic service is not cheap! (Though maybe not as bad as the BL.)

Wheesht

The Conservatoire de Lausanne, the Swiss National Library and the Zurich Central Libary all hold copies of the piano reduction, 2-piano score and, in the case of Zurich, what appears to be the full score. This latter is even available for free home loan. I will probably be in the Zürich library  in two weeks and could get that score and scan or photograph it.

pianoconcerto

There are at least three archival recordings of the Palmer piano concerto.  Here is the information from the full version of my piano-and-orchestra discography (i.e., not the short version that is online):

Palmer, Courtlandt (1871-1951) USA
Concerto in C (1940?; premièred 2 Dec. 1941 in Washington D.C. by Palmer, Thomas Beecham, and the Philadelphia Orchestra [www.newmusicbox.org/assets/5/premieres.pdf], rather than 25 Jan. 1942, with Palmer, Beecham, and the New York City Symphony, according to the New York Public Library)

New York Public Library (Courtlandt Palmer Collection):  Courtlandt Palmer/New York City SO/Thomas Beecham (25 January 1942)

New York Public Library (Nat. Orchestral Assoc. Collection):  Courtlandt Palmer/Nat. O Assoc./Leon Barzin (13 May 1942)

Courtlandt Palmer/Blue Network SO [of the American Broadcasting Co.]/Alexander Smallens (19 May 1945)

Martin Eastick

There seem to be copies of the published orchestral score (69 pages) in several locations; in New York (NYPL, Columbia University, New York University & Queens College), but also in the UK, at Sheffield University & Manchester University. According to worldcat, the three listed copies in Switzerland (Bern, Zurich & Solothurn) are of the 34 pages, and therefore presumably are 2-piano, or piano solo scores only. Although not listed on their website, I do wonder if Gebrüder Hug & Co still hold the orchestral parts?  Interestingly, Sheffield University also holds a copy of the piano quintet.

Again, going back to the detailed listing of the collection held at NYPL, there is what appears to be another (unpublished) piano concerto listed - "Concerto for Suydam Palmer", the mss including full scores as well as a 2-piano reduction!

Wheesht

The copy of the published piano concerto held at Zurich Zentralbibliothek is 69 pages and thus, presumably, the orchestral score. I will have a look next time I'm there. I could also try Hug, they are still around after all, although of course not all companies have wonderful vaults full of forgotten gems that we might hope for...

semloh

A very long list of Palmer scores held by the NY Public Library can be downloaded here:
https://www.nypl.org/sites/default/files/archivalcollections/pdf/muspalme.pdf

jimsemadeni

This is one of those unsung concertos that would be a great "revival" project (says he who has not two pennies to rub together).

Martin Eastick

It certainly would be a great revival project - but only if the concerto(s) are worthy of such! Based on the work I have in my possession, I suspect that his other music may well be worth further attention - and the piano concerto(s) would, of course, be more than desirable. Obviously, I would be more than interested to have the opinions of those here who have indicated that they may be able to consult these works! If they indeed are worth further attention, then it may well be possible to get something done with the support of certain favourably-inclined performers/labels who are well-known enough to members of this forum!

Gareth Vaughan

I'll see what I can do, but Simon is looking at a lot of other scores at the moment.
(It's Roger Sacheverell Coke, by the way.)

Alan Howe

Wheesht

Quoteat NYPL, there is what appears to be another (unpublished) piano concerto listed - "Concerto for Suydam Palmer", the mss including full scores as well as a 2-piano reduction!
I have the published orchestra score of the PC in front of me, and on the first page it says "To my dear sister May Suydam Palmer", so it may well be the same concerto – unless Palmer dedicated two concertos to his sister. The three movements are:

I. Moderato
II. Andante
III. Allegro energico
There is no key indicated in the title (and I cannot read music...)
The duration is 25'.

eschiss1

As to the key, if Moderato is the main section of the first movement (if it's not followed by a more important faster section, say) and if you have a scanner, I might be able to help if you could scan and email the first page of music to me? (If that's not a thing I should be asking, tell me and I'll delete this comment...)

Wheesht

I have photographed it as the pages are too large for my scanner. I'm happy to email the first page to you. Thanks.